• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Impaction :-(

MichG

Mama Doe
My Poppy has got impaction :cry:
We first noticed it on Friday when she had been at the vets being nebulised (she has something called Pantoea) and when I picked her up I felt a hard mass in her belly. My vet (who is an exotic vet) said that it could be the start and gave her some sub cut fluids and told me to keep an eye, but that it wasn't bad enough to need to be put on a drip as she was still bright, eating and pooping. Well today she was no better, still hard lump in belly and she had started to look sad and became a bit more lethargic and uncomfortable looking. She was still eating, not sure about poops as she is in with 3 others.

I took her back to the vets at 5 and she has now been admitted, she is on a drip and has had vetergesic (she had metacam at home at lunchtime). She will have xrays in the morning and depending on the out come she might have surgery.

Has anyone ever had their bun operated on for impaction? Did they recover well afterwards?
I am considering if PTS would be a kinder option from what I have read and understood of the surgery, especially if she has to have any guts removed :cry:

My poor poor baby girl. I am devastated, the poor vet had me in floods of tears.

Sorry to hear about Poppy.

I had a bunny with a blockage but luckily it did start moving just before they were about to operate (it was 3-4 days before we got to this point). It is a risky operation but I have read success stories on here (as well as some not successful). If you search on here for impaction or blockage they may help you make any decision.

Your vet will be the best person to advise and give you the pros and cons as they will have the x-rays.

I hope the fluids work and things start to move overnight x

Last edited:
Thanks, looks like she is picking up, she had xrays and an ultrasound today, he stomach and cecum are both impacted.
Luckily the vet is really positive that she won't need surgery, and she is being kept in on a drip again tonight. She seems to be best on Vetergesic, she doesn't really poo or eat without it. It is still not good, but prognoses is no longer guarded which is a bit relief. Hopefully I will have her home tomorrow!!

Lactulose can be very beneficial alongside aggressive fluid therapy. It is an osmotic laxative, it does not coat the impaction in oil but encourages absorption of water into the guts thus aiding rehydration of the impacted matter.

Domperidone can aid the function of the cecum

Hope Poppy recovers very soon xx

I'm sorry I've only just seen this. I really hope she continues to improve! Sending vibes.

I talked to my vet about haveing my rabbits operated on. She said it is very risky and we would try everything else.I am takeing my bunnies to the vet tomorrow. They have the exact same problem poppy has(although they are still eating and pooping they are also quite fit)

Wish Poppy LOTS of LUCK!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks. She has always been my strongest and healthiest of all my buns, so am in complete shock and I can't work out why it happened.

Also I had a dream last night that she died overnight. I really hope not :( it scares me how quickly they can get this and go downhill. I lost Jack to impaction last year, I didn't get him to the vets and on fluids on time. Hopefully I caught poppy in time.

Jane I will speak to Faye about lactulose and domperidone when I go in, thanks.

She is home! She is still poorly and is on a lot of meds and I have to give her sub cut and oral fluids. The good thing is that she has not lost her appetite completely so is still munching away on greens. Think I preferred when she was in the vets. I keep going to check on her and HATE giving sub cut fluids!!!

She is home! She is still poorly and is on a lot of meds and I have to give her sub cut and oral fluids. The good thing is that she has not lost her appetite completely so is still munching away on greens. Think I preferred when she was in the vets. I keep going to check on her and HATE giving sub cut fluids!!!

Glad there is some improvement. I am sure with your great care she will bounce back very soon xx

Back