• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick Baytril Question

Michelleox

Mama Doe
The vet has perscribed that the Baytril is given 0.3ml to be made up to 1ml with water twice a day. Does this sound right? (I always like to check on here first)

The vet has perscribed that the Baytril is given 0.3ml to be made up to 1ml with water twice a day. Does this sound right? (I always like to check on here first)

What strength baytril is it? I have never mixed it with water and always given bigger doses than 0.3ml :?

Not sure what they mean by 4 x 2.5%. There is a 10% (which is 4 x 2.5%) that's used in poultry so you may have been given that. I would maybe double check with your vet in the morning but give the 0.3 ml tonight as directed.

Ok thanks, i'll check in the morning, she had a Baytril jab today so i'm supposed tostart the oral tomoroow morning x

I imagine the 4 x bit means they've given you 4mls of the 2.5% solution. It sounds alright to me, my bunny was on 0.4ml, made up to 0.8 with water twice a day. She weighs about 1.8kg so if your bunny is slightly smaller it would make sense :)

From memory, I think the dose is 0.2ml/kg body weight and should be given twice daily to 'exotics' which includes rabbits.

Latest research suggests that Baytril is most effective given once daily not twice, as it works on peak plasma concentration (best achieved in one single high dose) and not on a consistent plasma level (which would be best achieved in two doses). Here is the info on that from the manufacturers own website http://www.animalhealth.bayerhealthcare.com/5167.0.html

Many of the older text books suggest 2.5-5mg/kg but again it has now been shown that it is more effective at much higher doses although clearly this will vary depending on what is being treated. My vet often goes straight for 20mg/kg injected once daily, which is significantly different to earlier treatment protocols!

Clearly it depends on what your vet has prescribed for and may be perfectly appropriate for what they hope to achieve, but twice daily is old practice so it would suggest that perhaps your vet is taking a cautious approach or isnt necessarily most up to date with recent developments, so if you don't see the improvement you hope for, I would suggest getting back in touch and asking them to do some more research into more effective regimes or different antibiotics.

Good luck, hope your little one is ok xx

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I asked about the Baytril with water and the vet said that ‘new evidence’ says to give it with water. I asked a bunny savvy vet nurse friend and she said that Baytril gets absorbed better in a hydrated gut. Makes kinda sense I suppose. I will investigate what Santa has said which makes sense also, maybe it’s down to what it is being used to treat :?

An older data sheet from Bayer than that linked by Santa suggests 5-10mg/kg (0.2mls-0.4mls) orally, diluted in water each 12 hours.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/000ADOBES/Lagomorphs/UK_licenced/Baytril_2-5_Oral_DS.pdf

S/C injections are often diluted with saline to prevent a condition known as "Baytril burn" which can cause necrosis at the injection site. Prolonged treatment with injectable Baytril can also cause sterile abscesses.

My vet now also prefers the one per day dose to achieve closer to peak load.

Latest research suggests that Baytril is most effective given once daily not twice, as it works on peak plasma concentration (best achieved in one single high dose) and not on a consistent plasma level (which would be best achieved in two doses). Here is the info on that from the manufacturers own website http://www.animalhealth.bayerhealthcare.com/5167.0.html

Many of the older text books suggest 2.5-5mg/kg but again it has now been shown that it is more effective at much higher doses although clearly this will vary depending on what is being treated. My vet often goes straight for 20mg/kg injected once daily, which is significantly different to earlier treatment protocols!

Clearly it depends on what your vet has prescribed for and may be perfectly appropriate for what they hope to achieve, but twice daily is old practice so it would suggest that perhaps your vet is taking a cautious approach or isnt necessarily most up to date with recent developments, so if you don't see the improvement you hope for, I would suggest getting back in touch and asking them to do some more research into more effective regimes or different antibiotics.

Good luck, hope your little one is ok xx

We always give baytril once a day in a high dose. As it tastes so bad i think once a day is kinder for bunny too ( and if the bunny is a kicker, owner as well!) Roxy is currently on 2.6mls a day and she is a complete nightmare with meds, so getting that much into her is great fun :lol:

Back