• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stomach impaction Help!

lovelybun

Warren Scout
Hi
My two rabbits chris and Maddy have a stomach impaction. I had the to the vet (friday) and the treatments have not worked yet. What should I do? I don't want then to die! I want the best for them. The vet gave pain killers, critical care, and fluids under the skin. Any advice? I am not able to take them to the vet too often.

They need to go back to a rabbit savvy vet. Force feeding critical care whilst they have an impaction could kill them.

Could you pop a thread up in rabbit chat with the title "Rabbit Savvy Vet Required URGENTLY in <your area>" May help if you need additional veterinary help.

I'm afraid wanting what is best for them means veterinary care.

I'm not an expert, but I think if they were mine I would want the vet to admit them for fluid treatment.

Hope someone with more knowledge and experience comes along soon to offer advice.

Sorry if I have the wrong person - but haven't you had this problem 2-3 times recently?

ETA I would recommend a rabbit-savvy vet to try and sort this problem out.
I know you said you can't go to the vet too often .... but sometimes (as with this) there is no alternative, but I think it is important to find the right vet.

Last edited:
Long term (once you have this episode sorted) I would advise increasing the amount of hay they eat - so that it is 80-90% of their diet - and gradually decreasing their pellets down to an eggcupful each a day.

Fibre (hay/grass) is vital for their tums and teeth.

You could also feed some herbs and a small amount of green veg - again introducing them gradually.

Any change in their diet has to be done slowly (except the increase in the quantity of hay).

Sorry if I have the wrong person - but haven't you had this problem 2-3 times recently?

ETA I would recommend a rabbit-savvy vet to try and sort this problem out.
I know you said you can't go to the vet too often .... but sometimes (as with this) there is no alternative, but I think it is important to find the right vet.

They have had it for over a week and I have taken them to a vet twice already

No offense, my rabbits have had this for a while(over a week) the veterinarian is quite knowlegable of small animals.

Has the veterinarian suggested further investigative work then?

No offense taken, i have the welfare of your rabbits at heart - if the vet isn't wanting to investigate why your rabbits are constantly suffering from bloat/gas/impactions, i would not say they are rabbit savvy. Sorry if thats not what you want to hear.

Did your vet suggest gently syringe feeding them water a few times a day as well?

If it is definately an impactation it needs to be loosened up, and the best way is with fluids. If it were my bunnies I would give them very very watery critial care a few times a day and lots of gentle tummy rubs as well.

Have you any idea what could be the cause, are they moulting, grooming each other lots? eating cardboard or newspaper?

I hope they start making an improvement very soon.

Has the veterinarian suggested further investigative work then?

No offense taken, i have the welfare of your rabbits at heart - if the vet isn't wanting to investigate why your rabbits are constantly suffering from bloat/gas/impactions, i would not say they are rabbit savvy. Sorry if thats not what you want to hear.

I found the cause, they had beed lacking enough dietary fibre. Right now they are eating hay and carrots and drinking water.

Did your vet suggest gently syringe feeding them water a few times a day as well?

If it is definately an impactation it needs to be loosened up, and the best way is with fluids. If it were my bunnies I would give them very very watery critial care a few times a day and lots of gentle tummy rubs as well.

Have you any idea what could be the cause, are they moulting, grooming each other lots? eating cardboard or newspaper?

I hope they start making an improvement very soon.

The cause was too many pellets.I am guilty!!!!!:oops::(:cry:

Long term (once you have this episode sorted) I would advise increasing the amount of hay they eat - so that it is 80-90% of their diet - and gradually decreasing their pellets down to an eggcupful each a day.

Fibre (hay/grass) is vital for their tums and teeth.

You could also feed some herbs and a small amount of green veg - again introducing them gradually.

Any change in their diet has to be done slowly (except the increase in the quantity of hay).

This may help you a bit.
I know how tempting it is to feed lots of pellets - but perhaps it is better to regard them as sort of 'treats' and concentrate on getting plenty of fibre into them.

Update

Hi, I had my bunnies to the vet today.;) She said Chris is doing much better:D and Maddy just needs more time to empty out her gut:):). I am feeding them a diet of mainly hay(Timothy, good quality), carrots, no pellets(thank goodness, never again!).

Hi, I had my bunnies to the vet today.;) She said Chris is doing much better:D and Maddy just needs more time to empty out her gut:):). I am feeding them a diet of mainly hay(Timothy, good quality), carrots, no pellets(thank goodness, never again!).

That's good news!
I avoid carrot as it is very sugary - I just reserve a little bit as a treat.

Back