• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

John Chitty? UPDATE

catherine09

Mama Doe
Booked an appointment with John Chitty tomorrow for a general check up for Woody and Jessie (when they got their vacs vet was rubbish!) and I'm quite excited as he's supposed to be really good!!

Does anyone else use him?

Last edited:
Some people seem to really rate him, personally I just rage about the advice which indicates it is written by him for the companion care website, which says that the ideal combination of bunnies is a spayed female with an uncastrated male!! I'd be really interested to hear what you think, good luck!

Meeee.:wave:
I wouldn't trust anyone else - he's been looking after my rabbits for a long time.

His wife, Kate, used to look after my cats, too, and she's lovely. Unfortunately I now find the journey too much now as one of my cats yoooowls from the minute I get her into the car until I get her home again .......... and 1.5 hours of that is ......

John can be very 'down to earth' shall we say.

I know some people aren't keen on some of his handling methods, but I go for his rabbit care/knowledge.

In fact, I'm just home from collecting a copy of the latest PetPlan claim.

Where are you seeing him?

Some people seem to really rate him, personally I just rage about the advice which indicates it is written by him for the companion care website, which says that the ideal combination of bunnies is a spayed female with an uncastrated male!! I'd be really interested to hear what you think, good luck!

I'm with Santa.............not a fan at all so will also be pleased to hear what you think of him. I found him to be a bit arrogant when I heard him being challenged over some advice he gave. Was a while ago and maybe he's changed ...................

Meeee.:wave:
I wouldn't trust anyone else - he's been looking after my rabbits for a long time.

His wife, Kate, used to look after my cats, too, and she's lovely. Unfortunately I now find the journey too much now as one of my cats yoooowls from the minute I get her into the car until I get her home again .......... and 1.5 hours of that is ......

John can be very 'down to earth' shall we say.

I know some people aren't keen on some of his handling methods, but I go for his rabbit care/knowledge.

In fact, I'm just home from collecting a copy of the latest PetPlan claim.

Where are you seeing him?

Tomorrow evening at his Andover practice! I was trying to get into the clinic he does at Brunswick Place in Basingstoke but they were being really awkward so in the end I just booked in at Anton themselves. In the future I can book into the clinic - do you go to his main practice at Andover?

I'm with Santa.............not a fan at all so will also be pleased to hear what you think of him. I found him to be a bit arrogant when I heard him being challenged over some advice he gave. Was a while ago and maybe he's changed ...................

Ah - I've never heard any negative comments about his rabbit knowledge before - maybe I should have asked on here before booking! :(

I will still go and see what he is like - I hope that I am rabbit savvy enough to differentiate good from bad advice! I hope he didn't suggest an intact male and spayed female was a good pairing :? that would put me right off!

http://www.companioncare.co.uk/pet-health-information.html

Click on rabbits, then click on Rabbits and rodents neutering, it definitely says written by John chitty and it definitely says that male rabbits do not normally need to be castrated, and that the ideal combination is a spayed doe and an entire buck... It even suggests that male rabbits Kept with other rabbits will need castrating if there is fighting! Seriously, I'd be interested to know if he still advocates this stuff...and if not, could he get the info on the site changed!!

Last edited:
http://www.companioncare.co.uk/pet-health-information.html

Click on rabbits, then click on Rabbits and rodents neutering, it definitely says written by John chitty and it definitely says that male rabbits do not normally need to be castrated, and that the ideal combination is a spayed doe and an entire buck... It even suggests that male rabbits Kept with other rabbits will need castrating if there is fighting! Seriously, I'd be interested to know if he still advocates this stuff...and if not, could he get the info on the site changed!!

Oh my goodness that is terrible info :shock:

Fortunately it is buried so deeply in the website I suspect no one ever finds it, and the individual branches certainly don't follow that advice!

Perhaps even worse, the small print at the bottom of the page says the info is courtesy of 'lifelearn' which seems to be a veterinary training package!!!

(apologies for the thread hijack, Catherine)

:cry: I think I'll cancel the appointment tomorrow

So difficult to find a good bunny vet around here - was so happy as he did clinic's in Basingstoke so really local to me

ETA: Ok, so maybe that bit of info is bad - but I'm fearing that will stop me seeing him when actually his rabbit knowledge is brilliant?!

Last edited:
His practice in the Kent area went bust so I heard...aint surprised with info like that.

:cry: I think I'll cancel the appointment tomorrow

So difficult to find a good bunny vet around here - was so happy as he did clinic's in Basingstoke so really local to me

ETA: Ok, so maybe that bit of info is bad - but I'm fearing that will stop me seeing him when actually his rabbit knowledge is brilliant?!

If it were me I would still go. If you think he is OK during the consult might be worth asking what his opinions are on castration ;)

I would still go too...I think you're savvy enough to gauge for yourself whether you agree with his opinions or not! It might be the case that this information was written several years ago and he no longer agrees with it but doesn't own the copyright to do anything about it, for instance...or it might be that he still believes that this is appropriate advice. There's only one way to find out if you are happy with him and that's to give him a whirl - good luck :D

I'd go too and make up your own mind. You're not going for neutering advice and it could be that he is still better than anywhere else you can travel to.

His practice in the Kent area went bust so I heard...aint surprised with info like that.

As far as I know he hasn't ever had a practice in Kent. How did you find that out?

I would avoid posting like that without proof.

Last edited:
I feel bad now, saying that he is good, although I do not think he ever practised in Kent.

You could ask PrettyLupin about her vet - she is in Southampton.

I feel bad now, saying that he is good, although I do not think he ever practised in Kent.

You could ask PrettyLupin about her vet - she is in Southampton.

I don't think he has practised in Kent either :?

I am sure purplebumble uses him

Please don't go to him if you have any doubts at all.

I wish I hadn't said I used him: bit like recommending a dentist/doctor/hairdresser and then the person concerned not liking him.

Back