• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rex Owners (bit of a grim pic added)

alio71

Mama Doe
Am I just unlucky? Out of all my rabbits, I have 3 rexes, 2 of which are very aggressive and unpredictable. Am I missing something, not providing something? Anyone know where I am going wrong or am I just unlucky? Any pearls of wisdom would be great.

Last edited:
We've had a number of rexes through the rescue, one was very aggressive on arrival but soon settled with a partner and loving home
We have Sadie here who again is very aggresive, but it is all defense aggression, once picked up is fine
Defense aggression we have seen as common in rexes and they do need more time spent with them to build their confidence in people.
A few rexes have just been lovely,,( Violet and Ocean :love: ), so may just be like any other bun that is highly bred for looks:?

So would you suggest just sitting in with him and offering treats until he is used to our presence? What do you do when they charge at you and are clearly in that angry mode? Do you just make sure you have thick clothing and let them get on with it so they think the attack method didn't make you go away?

best thing is to get them to a place where you can sit on floor with them..we've found less aggression shown then,,offer food and yep if bad wear gloves to start with..or use brush on a stick to groom them

Might need a stiff drink before braving this one :lol: He has taken a chunk out of my son's hand this morning for going in the room to fetch his shoes!!! :shock:

I've had 4 rexs, 3 as a child and Frilly who's only been here for about a week.
Fruitcake was my :love: rabbit, she was amazing, very friendly and affectionate especially to me. She escaped after about a week and I got home to find her on the back doorstep waiting to be let in. I was devastated when she died.
Jekyll and Hyde were rescue buns who hated being picked up and couldn't care less if we were around as long as they had each other. As they settled in they were kind enough to let us stroke them :lol: Who knows what they had been through before they got to rescue though.
Finally the lovely Frilly. Shes sweet, gentle, runs over to say hello and a completely lovely rabbit.

I must be unlucky then, mine are all rescues. This was todays unprovoked attack on my son just collecting his shoes off the shoe rack!! :shock:
bite.jpg

I have a sweet mini rex, however he is/was cage aggressive and has bit me before when I don't move my had out of his cage fast enough. After he was neutered I think he stopped being cage aggressive but I don't want to risk getting bit so when I pet him when he's in his cage I make sure my fingers arent within reach of his mouth.

When he sees me when he's in his cage he stands up on his hind feet and begs me to rub his head and is very sweet and well behaved besides the cage aggressiveness :D

It's def a territory thing with both my boys. Neither are in a cage. Benji has calmed now he has friends and the conservatory, he does charge and grunt and lunge but in a sort of friendly way!!! Cadbury has the run of the porch, he could come into the house but so far is too scared too. I have had cuddles with him but he has bitten 3 times now and everyone is getting a bit fearful of him which only fuels the problem. I think I shall have to (wo)man up and start the taming!!! Out of 24 buns here though from all kinds of situations only the rexes are aggressive. That's why I wondered if I was not accomodating their needs.

I've always thought rexs are intelligent and may need a bit more stimulation than some other rabbits, sort of like the rabbit version of the border collie. Don't have anything to back it up with though, just a feeling

I think you are right they are supposed to be more intelligent. He is due to be bonded and get more freedom soon. Fingers crossed that helps or I suppose I could take him to flyball with the dog and see if he's any good at that :)

Hope friends help like it seems to with Benji, theres always rabbit jumping too. :D :lol: Would love to see pictures, I've loved Rexs ever since Fruity.

I have 2 Mini Rex bunny girls and they're not aggressive at all. They thump when being chased at bedtime if they're being naughty (not often) but once caught and being carried they're fine; no struggling, biting or scratching.

As for them being intelligent - I have yet to see evidence of that ... :roll: :lol:

Back