• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need a run for my bunny

Rach210

Alpha Buck
I just wondered if this would be a safe and suitable run for my rabbit? She'd be in it from early morning till late evening some days as I work long hours and wouldn't want her to be stuck in her hutch all day:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128133&pf_rd_i=468294

I'm saving to buy her this hutch and would attach the 2 runs somehow:
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/sycamore-lodge-single-hutch-and-double-run-by-pets-at-home-85551

Any suggestions for a hutch and run combo under £200 are welcome though.

hi

this hutch is nice but like one of the review says, it would be hard to clean the hutch floor as the run is in the way so you woud have to stand at the side and lean over to sweep one bit and then go to the other side, which makes it cumbersome. and it might be hard to catch yourbunnies - rabbits rarely come to their owners to be lifted out.

My run was £80 (a wooden one with collapsible lifty up lid) and was separate (so we move it away when cleaning) to our hutch which was £118 - a 2 tier style which we had to adapt as the sleeping area was small. we open the hutch door and then open the run door and put them together, it's quite secure. If you want more details, you can send me a private message and i can take a pic if u like.

If i was to start again I would prob get a small shed (so i could stand in it with buns in the rain and keep all the stuff in there too) and attach it via catflap or flexible tube (called runaround) to a metal run. but that would be more than your budget.

do keep looking for the perf combo, if i get time, will look again on internet. try the ryedale and happy hutch co and ebay, gumtree, freecycle etc

If that run I've posted the link to would be ok then I could get one of those and a seperate hutch and it'd still be within budget. I think you can buy extra sections to extend those runs anyway.

I'd love to have a rabbit shed or a playhouse or dog run for her and her future friend but I haven't seen one that I can afford. I'll be looking on ebay regularly though. At the moment she's spending her time between her hutch and the house with me for a couple of hours a day. I'll have a run by the end of the week though.

Hiya!

I hope you don't mind me stopping by but I'm looking to buy a run too.

We're moving out to the country so need something sturdy as I'm terrified about the thought of a fox getting my boys :(

That run from amazon looks fab but wondering if it has a bottom as apparently foxes dig underneath? Can anyone see as I can't?

Cheers

Oooh and I should add - at our new place we will sort of have two gardens, a large decked area and a lawned hidden area. So I guess they could be on the decked area when I'm not about and on the lawn when I sit out there with them?

Last edited:
I never feel that these metal runs (or any metal runs) are safe for outdoor rabbits to be kept in unsupervised. They don't seem stable enough to me, but perhaps I'm wrong?

i have 2 of these runs joined together for my guys. i put it up to the shed every morning at 6/7am and they don't get put to bed until 10/11pm daily.
mine are unsupervised a lot of the time and the run is very strong and difficult to lift. i must admit i have put extra safety locks on where the spikes would normally go through to hold it together and on all the doors.

i have used these for over 4 years now with no problems. just make sure if it's on grass you put mesh under the run too so nothing can dig in... or out!!

little-laura - that first hutch/run combo isn't as big as i'd like, i wouldn't be happy keeping a pair of rabbits in there, the wooden run does look good though.

Whichever I get it will be linked to the new hutch when I get that, I think a shed might be the cheapest option but linked to whichever run I choose.

Hi,
I also have these runs and I must say, they are a lot stronger than they look on the photo. Maybe using tent pegs would make it even more secure? Have a look on gumtree and preloved for a shed, that's where I will be looking when I'm ready! If you do go a little over your budget, you could always make your own run, which you could make to fit perfectly inti your set-up :thumb:

Also have the metal run.

Wouldnt change it for the world, my wooden one has warn in the weather and bits are always fallng off but the metal ones, still like new!
And easy to put down if you need the garden for a function

Out of my metal and wooden ones, the metal ones are easy to store if not in use and they're really rather sturdy :D we just use a few tent pegs for extra support but it's my mom that put those in because she was worried about Donny's super charged binkies knocking it up somewhere :lol: my pair love their new one that's attached to their usual one :love: no idea what to do with my wooden one now so it's just sitting in the garden in the way :lol: the metal one has doors on whereas my wooden one doesn't.

I agree, the rabbit hutch/run is really too small (IMO).
The second one, the run, looks better, although, at 53cm, not sure it is high enough to allow rabbits to stand up tall. Fluffers, on one of her threads, shows how she added plinths to a run (not that one) to make it higher.
I much prefer that one to the wire one.

(ETA - Talking about the links Little-Laura gave)

Last edited:
Looks as though there are a few fans of the metal runs - so perhaps I'm worrying too much re stability/fox 'proofidness :oops:'

Please can anyone suggest a run for me? I have two boys, we are moving to the country where I have hills/fields behind our garden so I'm terrified about foxes.

I need a run that has a bottom to it as apparently foxes dig and get under runs.... and to be honest, my youngest boy would dig and get out too!

I would love something that I can some how attach to my hutch that I already have although it is on raised feet (not reeeeally high).

Please can anyone suggest a run for me? I have two boys, we are moving to the country where I have hills/fields behind our garden so I'm terrified about foxes.

I need a run that has a bottom to it as apparently foxes dig and get under runs.... and to be honest, my youngest boy would dig and get out too!

I would love something that I can some how attach to my hutch that I already have although it is on raised feet (not reeeeally high).

The first thing I would definitely advise is to lay paving slabs for your run or hutch/run to stand on. Stops foxes digging in and the bunnies digging out. Runs don't generally have bottoms to them and using mesh underneath isn't really satisfactory (uncomfortable for their feet), although there is a way of digging down and putting mesh underneath grass.

If you are concerned about foxes, I would ditch your hutch and buy a shed to put on a solid base/paving slabs - then attach a run to it. Then it will all be on paving slabs, so no digging from either direction. You could always put your present hutch inside the shed/playhouse to form a cosy bed.

Can't believe I didn't think of looking on gumtree till someone here suggested it, I mean I got the rabbit herself from gumtree then didn't even think of looking there for a shed. I'm so slow sometimes!

I wouldnt get that P@H hutch, I looked into getting it a few weeks ago and the run doesnt have a lid to lift up, so you cant get in to clean it or get the bun, everything you do you have to lean over the run!
The 6ft version of this one is cheaper and quite a few people have it on here: http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/rabbit-hutch-and-run-combinations/70

It only has a 6x4 run though, like the p@h one, so you'd probably still want either a run to add on or you can buy a run extension from them, they also do a bigger hutch and bigger run: http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/rabbit-hutch-and-run-combinations/163

Back