PDA

View Full Version : Help needed urgently please.

thumps_
01-07-2012, 11:46 PM
I need help on standby for Benjie -snuffles bunny please.
I'm now so ill, I only have a small window of 3 hours in the evening when I can string 2 thoughts together.
I have such severe retardation with depression, my ankles are huge (normally small & boney) from immobility. As a last resort, having tried to keep going by overdosing myself on a daylight lamp, I took a normal dose of echinacea last night to lower cortisol levels. I'm poleaxed, but this could well make me more responsive to medication - yep experimenting on myself. Things aren't looking good.

I'm terrified I won't be able to care for Benjie or need hospital admission. So I'm looking for someone prepared to foster Benjie, probably for 2-3 months.
Benjie has mild snuffles controled by home made saline nebuliser for which he sits on my knee. He's very well controlled at the mo.
A big problem is his foraged diet. I can give a supply of food dried for winter but he also needs the current young hawthorn shoots for fiber & dandelions.
He's a house bun, frightened outside, tends to be nervous, stays on the ground. Sorry, he has a bad habit of digging the edge of the carpet:oops:. He's incredibly affectionate all he wants is to be stroked, I've permanently wet trousers from where he licks me in return.:lol: Toilet training is perfect.

Obviously I'll keep caring for him as long as possible, but need a foster home, on standby possibly at very short notice.
Swindon is very near the Berks/Oxford/Gloucs border.

ETA Normally I'd have used "little paws" rescue but the owner is in hospital herself!

bunslave
02-07-2012, 01:03 AM
So sorry to hear you are so poorly. :( I know I'm miles from you so not much help but didn't want to read and run. If there's no one nearer who can help then let me know. Sending you healing vibes xx

xlaurax
02-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Sorry I'm useless but I too couldn't read and run. Sorry to hear you're ill, I really hope you sort things for Benjie, sending vibes x

Alibunmum
02-07-2012, 01:28 AM
I am really sorry to see this Thumps. I hope that someone will be able to putyour mind at rest and be on standby. In the meantime, look after yourself and get the swellihg down as much as you can.

Jenova
02-07-2012, 01:33 AM
You know I will do it. You should have come straight to me. :wave:

*hugs* Sorry you're feeling so bad. I don't know what I'd do about forage, but I'm sure some lovely people could send me some for him in the post. Yarmouth is barren... But I could always go up to Norwich to forage and I would be prepared to do it for you and him.

thumps_
02-07-2012, 03:11 AM
Thank you you kind people from the North. All my old roots are in the North; but the Eastern side - Northumberland, Co Durham, & Yorkshire Dales.

Jen that so kind of you. I've bypassed Yarmouth several times on my way to Walsingham. The problem is that it's on the coast so there's just gorse scrubland. When you go about 5 miles inland there are lots of hedges.
communications with that part of the country from here are very poor by whichever method.
By rail you'd have to go to London probably KingsX then cross London to Paddington to get here. It would be totally irresponsible of me to drive like this, even just round the corner. I'm having quite substantial lapses of concentration which feel like "blanks". It's almost like catatonia -lasts up to 11/2 hours, unaware of surroundings, & "frozen". The academic side of me is quite intrigued that I often freeze, cup of tea poised midair. When I "come round" the tea is stone cold, but I never spill a drop.
BTW I'm one of the really lucky ones, I don't feel miserable - I don't actually feel much at all, which is as well or I'd be having full blown panic attacks at my brain packing in.
Our best communications are East - West via the M4 corridor.

When your bunnies are stable I'm determined to get you down here & over to look for the "big black cat." If you can drive, I can get my car insured for you, to get you mobile!

Thank you aliduncan. I feel terrible that I haven't been on here to support all the lovely people who supported me when Thumps was ill. He only had a prognosis of 2 months when I started the thread & kept going for 18 months.
I've been struggling for most of this year. Yes, I've got cotton bandages to bind up my ankles & control the swelling.

Jack's-Jane
02-07-2012, 05:47 AM
I so wish I could help Judy. I am just not in a position to be able to care for any more Rabbits :cry:

Does Sarah know of anyone who may be able to help you at all ?

I am so sorry that you are very unwell and I feel totally useless in not being able to do anything constructive to help you

All I can do is send you a huge hug xx

weeble
02-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Judy Im so sorry I cant help although I can help supplying forage for anyone that could take him on. Huge hugs x

Snowy
02-07-2012, 07:17 AM
I can take him for you and give him the care that he needs for as long as you want, I can travel to collect and deliver, sending hugs to you

yvette
02-07-2012, 07:45 AM
So sorry to read this.....Let Theo take the baby and let me know if I can help.xxx

Geoff's people
02-07-2012, 07:59 AM
I can send forage year round to whoever can care for him!:love::love:

thumps_
02-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Snowy, that sounds hopeful. I'm just over an hour away from Leicester travelling on the Roman Fosse Way. It's a B road but dead straight, through the heart of the Cotswolds. Travelling south, I hop off it just South of Stow in the wold to go to Burford then Lechlade.
I think that Benjie would probably "cage" quite well during the day -he spends almost all that time under the dressing table & in his hidey box (which can pack into a car boot -just)- but he'd need a bit of a run round in the evening. He's a very "rabbit" rabbit. I don't know how well he travels long distance. If he's confined, I've probably got a spare strip of carpet to protect yours.

Obviously I'd cover all costs & give money for boarding. can I pm you how to contact me tonight?

I'm feeling a bit more lucid today but the "demon'' is yet to hit me.

Snowy
02-07-2012, 08:24 AM
He can come here for as long as you need and I have everything he will need, he won't be caged as we have free range spaces, carpet..........such luxury :lol:, his hidey box would be good because it's his and will be familiar to him

Please contact me anytime you like, I am always seeing to the bunnies but usually around

prettylupin
02-07-2012, 08:39 AM
He can come here for as long as you need and I have everything he will need, he won't be caged as we have free range spaces, carpet..........such luxury :lol:, his hidey box would be good because it's his and will be familiar to him

Please contact me anytime you like, I am always seeing to the bunnies but usually around

:love: Thank you SO much Snowy :D:wave:

If I can help with anything please let me know, i'm probably too far in the wrong direction to be of any practical help but if there is anything I can do... just shout.

Judy, I am so sorry you are so poorly :cry::cry::cry: I feel I have neglected you of late, have just been so busy with the little one and Poppy being poorly too (she's fine now) and a busy month with my family, so sorry :cry: Please let me know if there is anything we can do xx

sparklefairy
02-07-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm so sorry that you are feeling so unwell (((hugs))) It looks like there are some lovely people on here who will be able to help you. look after your self X

lilbun
02-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Judy, I didn't see this yesterday- I'm so sorry you're poorly:(

I'm relieved to see you had some kind offers from Jenova and Snowy- if I can help in any way e.g. if you need to organise a bunny run or further supplies of forage then send me a PM. I also have a nebuliser going spare which I would be happy to send to his foster home- it's a very quiet one too. Let me know.

I really hope you feel better soon. Big hugs xx

ripminnie
02-07-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm so sorry you're so ill :( it looks like Benj will be well looked after though until you're feeling better again, people on here are fab :love:

Jenova
02-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Whatever's best for Benjie. :D I'm always here if you want a chat.

KarenM
02-07-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm so sorry to hear you're so poorly Judy. :( I can't be of any help but am thinking of you. xx

MimzMum
02-07-2012, 11:10 AM
My God, Judy, I've just seen this. :( Obviously all I can do is keep you in my prayers but you know that you are there already. And Benjie too. ((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))
Please don't hesitate to PM me if you need and feel up to it. Be well and safe, my dear friend.

Tuckerbunnies
02-07-2012, 11:16 AM
So sorry to hear that you are so poorly

Thinking of you and sending hugs xxxxx

little-laura
02-07-2012, 12:07 PM
awww hun.... you poor thing

If I can do anything to help let me know, has someone been decided for him to stay with if he needs to?

Captain Helen
02-07-2012, 01:43 PM
That sounds really scary. I'm so sorry you're having a hard time at the moment. I hope knowing that there are people on stand by to help takes the pressure off a little. Sending hugs xx

natandfluffs
02-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Judy have you sorted everythinhg out?

thumps_
02-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Judy have you sorted everythinhg out?

:wave: Hi there natandfluffs. I'm soooo sorry I couldn't remember your user name. I think you used to live in Cricklade.
It looks possible with Snowy but you're so much closer. He's not suitable for nice new carpets though, & it could be that your 2 buns don't take kindly to a new comer.
I see Amy at Thameswood vets now just round the corner from GWR.

There are many advantages to being closer, but all depends on people's own health, family commitments eg a toddler is a handful and a half! & indeed nursing their own sick bunnies. Benjie is a sweetie, but I have to be honest about his shortcomings!

natandfluffs
02-07-2012, 04:30 PM
:wave:

No worries! We're in Wootton Bassett now, but yes it was Cricklade! Well I've literally just lost Mr Fluff so I'm thinking emotionally, but I'm really struggling with my empty dining room and part of me wants to fill it and part of me wants to leave it clear... But I'm so close and used to special needs buns, the floor is lino and will come up anyway next year. Very conflicted!! Let me have a chat with my husband this evening, and I'll get back to you. The biggest obstacle will be if we go on holiday (planning sept) and whether Dave will be around and capable if I go back to my mums in southampton at any point (Mr Fluff travelled well so generally just came everywhere with me)

Thinking of you anyway xx

natandfluffs
02-07-2012, 04:36 PM

No worries! We're in Wootton Bassett now, but yes it was Cricklade! Well I've literally just lost Mr Fluff so I'm thinking emotionally, but I'm really struggling with my empty dining room and part of me wants to fill it and part of me wants to leave it clear... But I'm so close and used to special needs buns, the floor is lino and will come up anyway next year. Very conflicted!! Let me have a chat with my husband this evening, and I'll get back to you. The biggest obstacle will be if we go on holiday (planning sept) and whether Dave will be around and capable if I go back to my mums in southampton at any point (Mr Fluff travelled well so generally just came everywhere with me)

Cari
02-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Just wanted to offer foraged stuffs from Leicester too if they're needed.
Stephen only eats the nice new Hawthorn shoots too and there are plenty of trees nearby so I could happily go a-picking for both him and Benjie.

I'm so sorry you are poorly and hope you start to feel better soon.

Hugo's There
02-07-2012, 04:53 PM

Such a generous offer, I think it would be just what you need at present too :love:

hurricanhoney
02-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Such a wonderful offer Theo and natsandfluffs. :D

natandfluffs
02-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Such a generous offer, I think it would be just what you need at present too :love:

I think you might be right. I need some bunny kisses!! Judy I'll pm you with what I've got and you can let me know what you think and what your routine is with Benjie and we'll see if its all going to match up for everyone... might be this evening or possibly tommorrow, the little one is in the bath and I'm not sure how much time I'm going to be left with before someone else monopolises the laptop!

kaths101
02-07-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm so sorry you are not feeling well. It looks like you have some great offers for bengie, he will be well looked after!

donnamt
02-07-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm sorry Judy I only just saw your PM in my email this evening. I really am sorry you are poorly and I will reply by email soon I promise xxx

I see you have decided to take Theo's lovely offer :love::love: she almost got my Alvin and Holly to spoil rotten but I had to let them go back to Hopper Haven as per the contract I signed.... Theo's sanctuary was definitely my back up option if Louise had been unable to take Holly back, both you and Benji will be just fine I'm sure of it. He is a very lucky little man to have found you and to get a place in such a lovely sanctuary if you cannot keep him anymore :love::love:

donnamt
02-07-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm sorry Judy I only just saw your PM in my email this evening. I really am sorry you are poorly and I will reply by email soon I promise xxx

I see you have decided to take Theo's lovely offer :love::love: she almost got my Alvin and Holly to spoil rotten but I had to let them go back to Hopper Haven as per the contract I signed.... Theo's sanctuary was definitely my back up option if Louise had been unable to take Holly back, both you and Benji will be just fine I'm sure of it. He is a very lucky little man to have found you and to get a place in such a lovely sanctuary if you cannot keep him anymore :love::love:

oops sorry I misread where he was going :oops::oops: dont think distance is an issue Holly made it from scotland to worcester to get the help she needed ;)

chelle
02-07-2012, 09:27 PM
oh Judy!:cry: Ive just seen this.....huge hugs...this is so hard for you:cry: sending you huge huge hugs and I can help with foraged good if needed for sure xxxx

prettylupin
02-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Only just seen this thread updated since this morning - another wonderful offer! Purely from a practical point of view a local foster home with natsandfluffs might be just what is needed.... because it means you 'could' potentially visit him if natsandfluffs didn't mind too much. :D:wave: It would also mean he could keep his current vet which would make continuity of care easier too. x

thumps_
03-07-2012, 06:06 AM
Thank you so much everyone.You are all absolutely amazing. :love::love::love:
Nice to see you back donnamt :D- I missed your posts.

Natandfluffs, I hadn't realised that you'd lost Fluffs so recently. I understand too well & offer my condolences & sympathy. It's exactly like losing a person-a dear member of one's own family. I also experienced some confusion of feelings when Thumper passed. I had to leave his food & water out for several weeks. The room was intolerable without it, but I'd have freaked out if any had disappeared! We all grieve differently. It's accepting it, & realising that it's OK. No pressure.

Today has been a multipronged attack for survival. Ideally I'd like to keep going at home with Benjie, if I can get enough rest to get back on my feet, & get my meds sorted.

The big problem here, is the unreliabilty of my own medical "services", which runs like a slightly black comedy. :lol:
After 44 years of living with it - (& in fact I've had a fantastic life) - I know what can happen. The last time I had a drug revision,they left me for too long. Parts of my brain to do with memmory, concentration, & co ordinating movement packed up so badly that I couldn't understand what people were saying to me, or express myself. Life was like watching a video with an increasing number of frames & sound track missing until I couldn't fill in the gaps to make sense of it. Fundamentally I've just run out of the chemicals which make my brain work & I just have to sit tight until they build up again. But I need to be in hospital when I get like that cos I can't even make myself a cup of tea!!! You wouldn't believe the probs of getting teabag, milk, & boiling water into a mug. :lol:

So with signs that I'm running into neurotransmitter debt again, I have to have a workable plan ready for Benjie's care, and one which can be put into action at short notice, knowing how my lot work!!
With 2 potential kind offers, it would be good to have a back up plan.

I've felt more lucid today than I've felt for months, & an inner strength, which is hopeful. I've been a bit less tired too.
I did my 1st internet food shopping, but I do need help so I can concentrate on what I need, while someone with me tells me where to click the boxes, or I lose track of what I need.

So I'm managing to feed Benjie, & have avoided depleting his winter stocks thus far. Food for me arrives today.
I'm on the waiting list to have a drug review by the Swindon consultant.:roll: expecting a letter in the next 2-3 days. No great hopes that I'll be seen within the next couple of months.
My GP's comment to me "I'll see if I can shake something out of the trees for you". "Thinks" "we all know what lives up trees":lol:

We just have to wait to see whether my hunch about echinacea works.
I'd no interest in herbal medicines or the use of plants until Thumper started to teach me. I knew that they worked remarkably in some cases but it was a problem identifying who could be helped. Herbal medicine is as big a field as my own so there's no way I could ever become proficient in it.
I'm quietly wondering whether little Thumper will end up by giving me my own life back from opening my mind to combining herbal & orthodox meds?

So please don't worry about me folks. Yes, I need a plan of action in place, & hope you understand why, & why I can't leave it 'till the last minute. I've come through worse than this. Just unfortunate that my usual back up plan for this eventuality isn't possible at the mo.

prettylupin
03-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Hang in there Judy :wave:

Hoping that you get the help you need very soon xx

Perhaps if you let us know exactly which forage is Benjie's favourite? We can collectively forage for you and post you what you need in the event of an emergency between now and when you get your consultant review and are back on track to enable Benjie to stay at home?

ETA I am sure little Thumper is watching over you regardless of echinacea but hoping it does help you too. Isn't it monkeys that live up trees? ;):lol:

Jaysmonkey
03-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Oh Judy, I'm so very sorry you're suffering of ill health. Me and Jay send get well wishes and hugs x

thumps_
03-07-2012, 04:29 PM
To keep you all updated. I'm experiencing something unknown in medicine. I've had 43 years of this illness & know what to expect. I've also cared for quite alot of fellow sufferers as patients. It usually takes 2 weeks before there is any improvement with antidepressants & until the 2 weeks is up, the illness continues to deteriorate.
I'm noticably speeding up in every aspect today, able to type without mistakes & don't feel tired.:D:shock:

I'm not yet confident it's sustainable, I could still go to the pit, or go high.

To anyone else out there with drug resistant depressive problems, I really don't advise this. I have no idea how echinacea interacts with other medications. The downswing or "unmasking" the depression is very sudden & pretty scary even to the experienced - I've had it for 43 years. I've also been in depressive stupor which gives me nerves of steel. :lol: The cortisol problems have only been documented in bipolars in the depressed phase.

Please please listen to me. Don't anyone try it on their own. With slightly lighter depression, it could plummet you into suicide overnight & that's something else I've had 43 years experience of handling successfully, & know only too well that it's the fast swings which are the most difficult to handle. These swings happen overnight.

I've let the head of the neurosciences MRC unit know what I'm doing today. He's the European authority on difficult to treat depression. I've known him for a long time both as friend & then my consultant until a few years ago. He'll listen to me, & he's the right guy to look into this properly.

Sorry I'm so excited. I haven't felt as well as this for 17 years. There may well be some bumps ahead. I'm an old woman with nothing to lose. Let me take the risks.
With Benjie I'd still like a safety net in place for him. Today it looks unlikely that we'll need it though.

Hugo's There
03-07-2012, 04:32 PM
To keep you all updated. I'm experiencing something unknown in medicine. I've had 43 years of this illness & know what to expect. I've also cared for quite alot of fellow sufferers as patients. It usually takes 2 weeks before there is any improvement with antidepressants & until the 2 weeks is up, the illness continues to deteriorate.
I'm noticably speeding up in every aspect today, able to type without mistakes & don't feel tired.:D:shock:

I'm not yet confident it's sustainable, I could still go to the pit, or go high.

To anyone else out there with drug resistant depressive problems, I really don't advise this. I have no idea how echinacea interacts with other medications. The downswing or "unmasking" the depression is very sudden & pretty scary even to the experienced - I've had it for 43 years. I've also been in depressive stupor which gives me nerves of steel. :lol: The cortisol problems have only been documented in bipolars in the depressed phase.

Please please listen to me. Don't anyone try it on their own. With slightly lighter depression, it could plummet you into suicide overnight & that's something else I've had 43 years experience of handling successfully, & know only too well that it's the fast swings which are the most difficult to handle. These swings happen overnight.

I've let the head of the neurosciences MRC unit know what I'm doing today. He's the European authority on difficult to treat depression. I've known him for a long time both as friend & then my consultant until a few years ago. He'll listen to me, & he's the right guy to look into this properly.

Sorry I'm so excited. I haven't felt as well as this for 17 years. There may well be some bumps ahead. I'm an old woman with nothing to lose. Let me take the risks.
With Benjie I'd still like a safety net in place for him. Today it looks unlikely that we'll need it though.

Thats great news xx

Jenova
03-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Great news. :D

lilbun
03-07-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm glad you're feeling much better at the moment and I hope it continues and Benjie is able to stay with you xx