• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Been away from here for a while but need some help / EC

Michelleox

Mama Doe
Really missed being here but i've finally getting back on.

I really need a bit of help.

Amber (my four year old) started having what looked like a slight limp and seemed to be dropping her right shoulder yesterday. She seemed in slght pain and certanly wasnt right so i took her to the vets. The vet (who is ok with rabbits but not the one i usually see. My surgery is very bunny savvy on the whole) checked her and said she may have pulled something as the shoulder is supported well. She was given metacam by injection and i have to give her 0.7 metacam orally once a day. She does fly up and down the cage and has huge binkies so i can see how she may have hurt herself.

She seems 'odd'. She's very skittish today and her head is off centre, leaning slightlytowards the shoulder. She sn't walking/hopping quite right. She hasn't gone downstairs and has stayed at the top of the hutch, she's eating a bit but doesn't seem right. You know what i'm thinkng, is it just the fact she may have hurt her leg or shoulder? Obviously i will take her back tomorrow but woud love your opnion.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Sounds like it could be EC. I'd treat with lapizole/panacur as a precaution asap....:?

Thats the thought i had. Gettng some panacur from a friend in a few minutes. Thanks so much for the reply x

Speak to the vet about it as well. You'll want to do a 28 day course I imagine. I don't know a lot about EC, I hope she's okay.

Thank you, my friend is a vet nurse who ive just spoken to. Amber be in the vets first thing tomorrow morning. EC is one of those that i don't know too much about either

She's now being treatd for EC, i'm devestated.

Been gven panacur and Baytrill. Any advice on what i can do, what should i look out for, what will happen etc, i'd be very grateful. I feel like my world has just shattered, she's so beautiful and lively and very strong and usually healthy. Why her?Will be able to run and play again?

Ollie, her husbun is to have panacure too.

Last edited:
EC is not a death sentence :wave: you have caught it very quickly, before her head started to seriously tilt. Things look to be very positive for her, well done for taking action so quickly!

Hi, just wanted to add and confirm it's not a death sentance. I have Bonnie who arrived with EC. She now leads a normal life with a new husban and only a slight tilt that you don't notice unless you really look hard. This is her.
118.jpg

:love::love:

EC is not a death sentence :wave: you have caught it very quickly, before her head started to seriously tilt. Things look to be very positive for her, well done for taking action so quickly!

I just wanted to agree with this. It sounds like you have caught it early. All bunnies are different, but EC really does not have to be a death sentence.

I can only speak from my own experiance of ec With my Bun, Gypsy. Things did get worse before they got better. At times it looked really bad as she rolled around and could not keep her balance. Times of stress, such as a vet trip, made things worse and I really thought I was going to loose her. This might not happen with your bun, but I just wanted to prepare you for it incase it does. Try not to panic, it often looks worse for us than it feels for them.

Gypsy has the 28 day corse of panacur, metacam and baytrill. The metacam was very helpful as it took down any swelling to the brain causing the head tilt and the rolling. At one point I was syringe feeding Gypsy as she could not eat for her self. However, she got better :D This all happened last september/october and she is still with us, no head tilt and is happy and bouncy.

Gypsy has a few problems with hind leg weakness, I'm not sure if this is down to the EC or her arthritis. I'm also not sure if the arthritis is something that would have happened anyway or if the EC made her more prone to it ( she is 8 )

EC is horrible, some cases are worse than others, but there is always hope Xxx

Sorry to hear about your bun. The good news is that you've caught it early and there is every chance she will make a full or at least partial recovery.

You need to be prepared for things to get worse (maybe a lot worse) before they get better and she may need a lot of nursing and support, especially with getting enough fluid and food. It can tale a long time for them to get better. There are many people here who have been through it though and will be happy to support you as much as possible.

A blood test is not essential but may help to confirm diagnosis as there are other possible causes such as ear infections, neurological problems etc.
Lots and lots of get well vibes for your bunny xx

Yuki has EC she had a blood test and it confirmed it.

She can go a year without incidence or can have 1-2 occurrences of it a year. She is usually still very happy while suffering with it, eating and playing and snuggling with Yuri.

She tends to have occurrences of it between June-September if shes going to have an attack. Its a pattern I have noticed I am unsure why.

Yuki is five she loves life and is very affectionate she fights her way through her attacks and is a very happy bun.

Things tend to get worse with EC before they get better, if you notice the signs earlier you can sometimes catch it before it get worse however sometimes no matter how early you catch it, it gets worse before better.

With lots of care and love every day Yuki slowly gets better

Signs of Yuki's EC are

she starts leaning more strangely on her left back leg, it slips out from under her and wonders, shes uneasy on it and she over leans.

her eyes buldge more and look not right her head leans to the left more

her ears are low down and leaning to the side often

she starts losing weight

she looks generally not right and a bit off

she will still happilly bounce about and act her usual self until it gets really bad which is why the signs are difficult to spot....

when she gets really bad she slows down and rest more and leans against yuri or the pen or what ever she can to balance. she still plays though and sits for fusses and seems happy but it not her usual self

She will be like that for 2 weeks or more before I see the gradual improvements its a slow process.

when she compleatly recovers she is back to her normal self and acts like nothing ever happened lol

Last major attack last year in August she slowly went from normal to this

IMG01188-20110818-0851.jpg

but very slowly with lots of care massages, treatment and love she started to improve

IMG01338-20111019-1212.jpg

her head tilt slowly improved as did the way she was leaning on her back leg

IMG01506-20111225-1106.jpg

This is Yuki now

IMG02068-20120627-1831.jpg

I have to keep on top of her health and still massage her everyday especially her hind legs

Its a lot of work but they can live very happy lives and recover well I love my little Yuki :love:

Only thing I'd say is instead of 28 days panacur - the maufacturers recommend 6weeks in confirmed cases

Good luck

Hi Michelle, its good to see you back just sorry it is under such stressful circumstances.

I agree with everyone else that Ec bunnies can make a full recovery especially as you are such a good bunny mummy and have caught it early.

Not sure if it has been suggested already but I always give metacam with the panacur as it will reduce any inflammation caused by the EC

Hi Michelle, its good to see you back just sorry it is under such stressful circumstances.

I agree with everyone else that Ec bunnies can make a full recovery especially as you are such a good bunny mummy and have caught it early.

Not sure if it has been suggested already but I always give metacam with the panacur as it will reduce any inflammation caused by the EC

yes I do this too! *thumbs up*

Thank you everyone for being so kind, it’s very much appreciated. I’ve read loads of things on different bunny problems but not much on EC. Hi Liz ;-)
I took her to the vets on Saturday as she seemed to be limping from the front shoulder but certainly not head tilt. They thought the same and gave her Metacam by injection and gave me some to give her orally. So hopefully in some way the Metacam she had before I noticed the tilt (which was Sunday) may have helped (?)
So now she is having Baytril, Panacur and the Metacam and I have Science Recovery on standby as she’s off pellets. Vet said to give her everything and anything she will eat to keep her strength up.
Yuki is beautiful by the way x

Thank you everyone for being so kind, it’s very much appreciated. I’ve read loads of things on different bunny problems but not much on EC. Hi Liz ;-)
I took her to the vets on Saturday as she seemed to be limping from the front shoulder but certainly not head tilt. They thought the same and gave her Metacam by injection and gave me some to give her orally. So hopefully in some way the Metacam she had before I noticed the tilt (which was Sunday) may have helped (?)
So now she is having Baytril, Panacur and the Metacam and I have Science Recovery on standby as she’s off pellets. Vet said to give her everything and anything she will eat to keep her strength up.
Yuki is beautiful by the way x

Sounds like you are doing everything possible for her xx

Wesley made a full recovery please don't panic. It does take time you have caught it early and hopefully will be back to normality in no time.

Back