• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent help Please!!!

Adelekim

New Kit
I have a 9 year old Netherland dwarf who was perfectly healthy until he had a op to cut his back teeth and he came round with paralysed back legs last tuesday he is incontinent aswell. Unseen a lot of people online who keep her bunnys alive when there paralysed but the vet has left it up to us. I would like some advice please.also is this a common thing?

I would give him some time before making any decision, in case the damage is temporary.

In the meantime do watch out for fly strike.

Such a sad thing to have happened... :cry:

What has caused his paralysis? I personally, would be wanting the necessary diagnostics (x-ray for starters) and asking serious questions of the vets as to what happened. For anything that major, there will be a reason.

It would be exceptionally uncommon for it to happen, to be honest.

As for whether or not to keep him alive, only you can make that decision based on the cause of it, his quality of life, his personality, things like that. Neither answer will be 'right', it's just a case of doing what you think is best for him.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Oh bless him, how awful for you all :cry: Has the vet done any diagnostics to try and find out why this has happened? If your vet has just left it up to you to decide what to do, I think I would be inclined to seek a second opinion from another vets practice, get them to do x-rays if he hasn't already had them, and then you can perhaps make a better informed decision about whether there is a chance of him improving or not.

Sadly I have heard of a few bunnies who have gone in for routine operations where they have somehow managed to break the bunnys spine at some point during the day...I really hope this isn't the case but a spinal injury would be the first thing I'd want to confirm or rule out. If the prognosis is poor with limited chance of recovery, I would probably err on the side of putting to sleep, but only you know whether your bunny is pain free, happy and enjoying a good quality of life.

Good luck xx

I'm so sorry to hear about your bunny :cry:

I completely agree that you need to have x-rays done to rule out a fracture. It's sadly very easy for bunnies to break their spines just by thumping or struggling for instance.

If a fracture has been ruled out there may be a chance of recovery. My bunny Tippex was once paralysed for 5 days with suspected E.c but she completely recovered after treatment which included steroids, fenbendazole (panacur) and antibiotics (septrin). however we did have x-rays done first to rule out a spinal injury. If there is a spinal injury the prognosis is not good i'm afraid xx

Whilst a spinal fracture is a possibility it could also be an adverse reaction to the GA

I cared for a Rabbit, Geoffrey, who went in for a routine neuter and sadly had a severe reaction to one of the GA drugs, he became both blind and quadriplegic :cry:

Another possibility is that your Bunny had a stroke. If this were to be the case then it is possible for some recovery to occur. Usually intensive physiotherapy is needed ASAP so this is another reason to try to establish whether the problem is 'structural' or neurological.

I am sorry that this has happened :cry:

Back