• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

adopting from a rescue centre

enfieldgirl

Young Bun
hi all, thinking of getting a rescue bunny as company for my doe. my question is that there seems to be a few rspca and other rescue centres within a 25 radios of my home, do i need to contact each indivual rescue for a home check or does 1 cover all?

Every rescue has their own requirements, if you want to adopt from Rescue Y... So for example Rescue X might approve of your 6ft hutch where as Rescue Y might not and would prefer a 7ft one. As you're going to adopt from Rescue Y there's no point contacting Rescue X to do a home check for another Rescue.

Go to each of the rescue's websites, choose a bunny you'd like. Or choose the nearest rescue and let them speed date your bunny with their rescue buns to see who'd better suit to your bunny's personality.

Then contact them saying you'd like to adopt a bun. They'll home check, if you pass they'll let you adopt. If you fail, see what you can do to pass and when you've improved, contact the rescue and they'll home check again.

thank you , thats made it a lot clearer, i just wasnt sure if the rspca centre s have the same adption policy as there are 2 near by but in totally different direction s x

Every rescue has their own requirements, yes, however if they know and trust each other then they liase with each other regarding homechecks.

I had a homecheck from a rescue, then we didn't end up adopting from there. However when we went to another rescue they knew the original rescue and trusted the homecheck the first rescue did, so didn't actually homecheck us in the end.

Hope that makes sense!! :thumb:

thank you , thats made it a lot clearer, i just wasnt sure if the rspca centre s have the same adption policy as there are 2 near by but in totally different direction s x

You aren't too far from us... so i may be able to help you with this question. If you are looking at branches in our area, we have a central home visiting team who the visits are done between. You have an RSPCA centre not far from you, and then there are the smaller branches like us within travelling distance. I don't want to name RSPCA branches who work together etc on the forum, but your more than welcome to conact me for advice :)

It's possible, I've adopted from the Hull RSPCA after a homecheck from the York RSPCA, they just faxed through confirmation while I waited. :)

I'm in Shropshire too, when I was looking for a husbun for my rabbit I had two near RSPCA's to choose from, naturally, I chose the nearest and they wouldnt let me have a rabbit without my parent's permission even though I was 21 and could prove my age (I think it was something to do with the fact that I lived in their house) and they also wouldn't let me have one because my hutch wasnt the size they wanted. Whereas the second RSPCA let me have the bunny and accepted the set up I had for the buns and didnt mind that I lived with my parents.

It totally depends on the individual rescue, though I would reccommend RSPCA Walsall as they were fab with me! They gave me so much help and advice and even bonded my buns for me as I didnt have enough days off work consecutively to be able to do it myself. They were absolutely lovely! :love:

EDIT: Come to think of it, I'm sure it was Becky86 who bonded my two actually! I think... I'm sure her name was Becky... :lol:

Last edited:
Back