• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny nails ??

emileemason

Warren Scout
was just wondering if theres anything you can do to keep bunny nails/claws down so that they don't have to be clipped as often??
aka something that keeps them down...

i didnt even know that rabbits needed their nails clipped until coming on here not too long ago :oops:

my rabbits don't like being held and will scratch like crazy, so i can't clip them myself and i dont know about vets in the uk and such but vets here are expensive :( so any tips would help, ill have to ring up and ask how much it would cost anyways though, and times that by four for four bunnies.. lucky i love them so much :D

My lot have 24 hrs access out of their cage and I still have to cut nails sometimes.
I only trim to the length of the fur on the paw anyway....if the claw is black then I know Im avoiding the nerve by doing it that way.

It is a good thing for a bunny to be used to being held...a bunnys bum/nails/teeth need to be checked frequently.:wave:

how often to you clip their nails??

and i can easily hold one (my male), as soon as my three females hit puberty they all of a sudden hated being picked up, they like to have head scratches and nose rubs but as soon as you put your hand under their belly they bale.

they are in hutches inside at the moment and can only be let out for supervised runs each day, but im hoping when their playhouse and aviary is finished and they are bonded i will be able to have more interaction with them (being able to go in their with them, and if i'm in their laying with them, they might learn to like to be held eventually.. or atleast tolerate it..) But ive read on here that a lot of peoples rabbits don't like to be held..

Sorry I don't really have any advice :(
My bunny also freaks out as soon as I try to pick him up. I've had him for 4 months now and still no improvement. Will he hate me if I try to pick him up and he gets really scared?

Have you got someone who might be able to help you? I'd say it's definitely worth learning to do yourself as it can work out expensive at the vet, my vet wanted to charge me £36 to do my three!
We lure ours in to a carrier then bring them upstairs so they're not in a familiar environment and are less likely to run off. I sit one on my boyfriend's lap, he drip feeds it treats, and I clip the claws with a pair of dog clippers. my buns have black claws so I shine a torch underneath them first to see where the quick is.
If your buns claws haven't been clipped in a long time the quick might have grown quite long so it might take a few clippings spaced out by a few days to get them back to a good length.

You can also try the bunny burrito (i'm sure someone will come along and explain that) which a lot of members recommend but personally I found it made it more difficult to do the job.

Sorry I don't really have any advice :(
My bunny also freaks out as soon as I try to pick him up. I've had him for 4 months now and still no improvement. Will he hate me if I try to pick him up and he gets really scared?

i don't pick mine up because if they don't like it then they don't like it i think, but id like my buns to be able to tolerate being held when they need to be. And i don't mind that they are cuddly because they like affection in other ways, especially rubs by their ears :)

battlekat thanks for the advice, and yeah i can imagine the vets being expensive especially going in frequently to get this done.
how often do you need to trim their nails??
and how long should their nails be, i checked my oldest rabbit (who isnt very old) but figured she would have the longest nails and they do look quite long.
what treat can you drip feed??
i looked up the bunny burrito and i might have to do that until my buns get used to the whole clipping thing and being handled more frequently.

i feel quite stupid not knowing that you had to clip their nails :oops: i kind of just figured theyd be like cats and keep them down themselves :oops:

Mine are kickers but the OH helps me get them done. I let mine out on the patio most days and theirs still need trimming every so often

I agree with Battlekat. Claws will need trimming about every 6 months but some grow more than others. Can you not find the breeder or a breeder who could help you

Back