• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what veggies /fruits do you feed your bunnies and where do you get them

enfieldgirl

Young Bun
i seem to spend ages in my local supermarket trying it decide what to get my buns i get so confused over what they can and cant have, and was just wondering what others do x

I use a bunny safe foods list such as the link provided by an earlier poster.
I feed veg & herbs from my garden, the supermarket & 2nds from a good green grocers.
I also forage for wild foods & try to feed seasonally as that helps keep costs down & provide the buns with variety.

Except when the ground is frozen and the wild food is iced up, I don't feed veggies any more but rely on forage, freely available from the fields:lol:
If I do have to use the supermarket, I tend to go for spinach, herbs and the nicer salad mixes (well washed to get rid of the chlorine).
OCCASIONALLY the might share a carrot between them or a piece of apple, but I don't see where they would get them in the wild. Certainly the wildies here completely ignore the wild crab apples that drop, yet they strip bare a fallen branch from the same tree within days:thumb:

Carrots, broccoli and a small bit of apple 3/4 times a week from morrisons and dried or normal dandelions and parsley from the garden!

We have recently introduced more greens to the girls and they are really enjoying it. They get corriander, flat leaf parsley, dandilion leaves, fresh grass, broccoli (floretts and stem), spring green leaves, curly kale, strawberry tops, very occasionally they get a carrot top each :) They also love freshly clipped hawthorne so they get that and bramble leaves often too :)

I feed my rabbit:

Fruit:
pineapple
apple (not the seeds)
banana
papaya
grapes (seedless)

Vegetables:
bak choy
chinese spinach (sparingly)
choy sam
romaine lettuce (sparingly)
celery (leaves)
bell peppers
coriander
parsley
parsnip (sparingly)

Herbs:
mint
rosemary
dill
thyme
basil

NOTE: do not feed ICEBERG LETTUCE, STRAWBERRIES, GARLIC, ONIONS, or any other type of oniony or garlicy vegetable eg. SPRING ONION.

CARROTS only very sparingly - my rabbit only gets a small piece every 3 weeks. Also, cabbage and any other vegetable like peas, potatoes, beans, etc with lots of carbohydrates are bad.

I feed my rabbit:

Fruit:
pineapple
apple (not the seeds)
banana
papaya
grapes (seedless)

Vegetables:
bak choy
chinese spinach (sparingly)
choy sam
romaine lettuce (sparingly)
celery (leaves)
bell peppers
coriander
parsley
parsnip (sparingly)

Herbs:
mint
rosemary
dill
thyme
basil

NOTE: do not feed ICEBERG LETTUCE, STRAWBERRIES, GARLIC, ONIONS, or any other type of oniony or garlicy vegetable eg. SPRING ONION.

CARROTS only very sparingly - my rabbit only gets a small piece every 3 weeks. Also, cabbage and any other vegetable like peas, potatoes, beans, etc with lots of carbohydrates are bad.

Any reason you say that?

I thought strawberries were fine? Bella loves them.

I don't feed mine a lot of fruit & veg really. Atm they're only getting dandelion leaves and banana (I hide Boris' meds in a piece of banana)

I thought strawberries were fine? Bella loves them.

I don't feed mine a lot of fruit & veg really. Atm they're only getting dandelion leaves and banana (I hide Boris' meds in a piece of banana)

They are again, limited, due to sugar :)

Herbs:
Curly Parsley
Flat Leaved Parsley
Basil
Coriander
Mint

Natural Foods:
Dandelion
Clover (leaf and flower as a treat)
Vetch
Hawthorn (leaf and fresh green twigs)
Bramble (leaf)
Cow Parsley
Sticky Weed

Vegetables:
Broccoli (very small amount)
Carrot (infrequent)
Green Beans
Pre-packed Mixed Salad (well washed)

Fruit (ALL very infrequent - usually as treats):
Banana
Apple
Pineapple

Mine are usually a mix from:

Watercress
Spring Greens
Mint
Basil
Parsley (flat and curly)
Kale
Spinach
Rocket
Savoy Cabbage
Carrot tops
Pak Choi
Sweetheart Cabbage
Dill
Sage
Parsnip (mine go mad for it but no other buns seems to!)
Carrot
Plum
Apple (red is better as green is sharp)
Grape (no pips)
Pear (low in natural sugar)

I don't feed banana anymore i've heard if fements in the tum

I get mine from Tesco or Sainsburys, i get the backside treatment if i dare give them stuff from Asda :lol:

Back