• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving house bunnies outside - what should i be aware of?

fiona0529

Alpha Buck
As title says. They have been house bunnies for a year now but due to increasingly destructive behaviour and hubbys hayfever, they now need to go out. They will be in an insulated hutch with access to a run which will be covered in tarpaulin ir similar to Protect against the rain. How well will they adapt bearing in mind they haven't been outside very often.

This is a good time to put them out as they'll have time to grow winter coats. My rspca buns had been "indoors" for several months before I adopted them, and were absolutely fine. I does help that they have each other... The only downside is the fact that you have to go outside to clean them out!!! lol They'll be perfectly happy:D

Security should be your main concern. Making sure they are secure under the floor, in the roof and on all sides with proper mesh and padlocks.

I got a rescue housebunny not long ago and decided to keep him and his new friend outdoors in the summer in a shed aviary setup. They have to come indoors in the winter due to my limitations. Stanley (prev housebun) loves it out there, he spends most of his time in the run part. I bought grass in for him before and he got used to unlimited grass etc while he was at the Rabbit Residence being bonded but he doesn't seem to have any issues with the change and seems to be a very happy boy :D

My Bumble bunny adapted to being outside so quickly when we put her out. This was before she had Bee. She was a house bunny before and had never been outside as we didn't have a garden then so we were prepared to do it gradually the vet said but no she loved it as soon as we put her out we didn't even have to do it gradually!

Ruthie xxx

I kept Finx as a house bunny for her first year, we didn't have a garden just a shared bit of grass so she had only been out once or twice in a tiny run while I sat with her.

My main worries were security, scary noises and the temperature. I let her play in her new hutch/run during the day for a week before I left her out overnight, so that she wasn't left in unfamiliar territory. I gave her a snugglesafe when she first went out, until I rescued Tango and bonded them, when he took over :lol: I also made sure her bedroom was stuffed to the brim with hay and straw - for warmth and somewhere to hide from the scary noises that outside comes with for a house bunny! I also replaced bolts on the hutch and meshed under the run to make sure it was safe.

She loves being outside with her husbun, who has been with us for 9 months now! :shock::love:

Thanks for all your replies. I am going to get slabs and mesh for under the run and get padlocks for the hutch and run. I have tarpaulin which will be put on the roof of the run and weighed down with bricks. I will also get/make a hutch cover. I will miss them so much but i think it's for the best.

Back