• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Citronella, flies, eggs, aaagh!

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Gave the cat a treat today and put some wet food down. Within an hour it had fly eggs on it! Panicking about Grim now as he has a messy bum.

What citronella stuff do I need to repel flies? It is just normal citronella oil? I'm going to put it on cotton wool balls and hang it by the door and window.

Off to give their room a big clean.

Eugh I HATE flies!! They're so pointless and annoying.

These oils are good. It's a good idea to hang up the cotton wool as you've said. Also try putting a cloth soaked in it (diluted first) in a tin or jar on a shelf

Have you got an oil burner you could try as well?

Lavender oil
Citronella oil
Eucalyptus oil
Pennyroyal oil
Peppermint oil
Lemongrass oil

I like the cloth in the tin idea. :)

Do you have any idea where the best/cheapest place to buy them from is? The oils not the cloth. :lol:

:lol:

Erm unsure really. eBay is always good but you obviously need them today... Holland & Barrett? Not always cheap though! I got some from the indoor market. Tbh online or Holland and Barrett are probably your best bet

Tesco sell a citronella fly repellant thing that looks like a cheap plastic air freshener. I have one hanging in my bunny shed and it does a fab job. Also, if your bunny has a dirty bum (or even if he doesn't!) Rear/Fly guard will do the job too and far more effectively x

Tesco's also sell a big bottle of oil for filling up a burner, if they have any left in stock. I got mine from the local garden centre that's open 8 till 8. It was a 1.5litre bottle for £2.99

I knoooow... they're so lovely but I'm a tight budget.

I think I'll pop off to Tescos. :D

The oil for the burners is not as good as the 100% essential oils for repelling the flies. You'd be better getting a small bottle of essential oil, It will be about £5 but will last a while. x

The oil for the burners is not as good as the 100% essential oils for repelling the flies. You'd be better getting a small bottle of essential oil, It will be about £5 but will last a while. x

I saw this too late. Never mind I'll try the lamp oil and next time I'll get the 100% stuff.

Now I'm worried the smell might affect Grim's snuffles/breathing. :?

I put some cotton wool balls soaked in it in a vase with fake flowers. It looks and smells lovely, but now I'm worried...

Back