• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please tell me wha you think of Julie's hopping. She slides on the floors but not the

bunnytoes

Warren Veteran
carpet. This is carrying on from my other thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ry-worried.-Is-this-normal-aging-Video-post-8
I have a video of her sliding on the tile. I started a new thread hoping to get more responses. These videos show her on the wood laminate and carpet. Is this normal?
These videos are from today.
The carpet first.

Now the wood laminate. She is okay when going fast but when she stops she slides.

Please give me your opinions. If she is is lying in her bed or area rugs she can go from sleeping stretched out to up in an instant if she thinks petting or food is involved.

Hi Bunnytoes, nice to see the lovely Julie :D
I do think her gait is altered even on carpet.
It is worse when she can't gain traction on the tiles.
Perhaps a series of runners/ mats would help her move around better, but it is interesting that when food & fuss is involved she has no probs!
I know she is an older bun so I'd probably show these clips to her vet next time you have her there.

Hi Bunnytoes, nice to see the lovely Julie :D
I do think her gait is altered even on carpet.
It is worse when she can't gain traction on the tiles.
Perhaps a series of runners/ mats would help her move around better, but it is interesting that when food & fuss is involved she has no probs!
I know she is an older bun so I'd probably show these clips to her vet next time you have her there.

I agree with KB

Julie may have some age related osteoarthritis in her hips

I know the feeling Julie xx

ETA- She does have some muscle wastage of her rear end, another sign of possible osteoarthritis.

Last edited:
It could just be that her claws need trimming and she is struggling to grip because of it.

We had this problem with Bo and she flat out refused to walk on anything that wasnt a form of material!! We clipped her claws and off she went - skitting all over the living room floor!!

Even if they seem ok, maybe just trim the ends as they may be getting to the point where she cant grip properly xx

does she walk like that all the time or just sometimes?the reason i ask is because my rabbit does the but only if she is going to a place in the room she has never really been in before, this may be because they're unaware of what's there!:D

Back