• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holidays?

deb_h

Warren Scout
Just wondered what you folks do with your buns when you go away?

Hubby would really like a holiday but im not to sure what I would do with my babies. My brother and his girlfriend would probably come and stay over but im not sure how well they would look after them :roll:

when we all went to my sisters wedding there was no one to look after my rabbit so he went to bunnyhops hotel with kay, he loved it, last year mum and dad where home and so they looked after my girl, although she had dental before i went away, she lost soo much weight n only a week, with them seeing her everyday they hadn;t noticed, but i did as put her on scales that night, after sayng she feels like a netherland dwarf weight and she was less, turns out she was pinning (sp?) for me

My mum and dad come to stay at our house to look after them, if they didn't I couldn't ever go away, as I wouldn't trust anyone else to do exactly as I say! :wave:

Well I only really go and see my parents and then the buns come with me. If I go somewhere else my friend house/pet sits for my two rabbits, four chinchillas, hamster and bearded dragon. :D

I never go away. With eleven buns, one needing daily medication, eight cats, one who is incontinent, a guinea-pig and a hamster, I can't really leave them.

Occasionally, I think it would be nice to have a night away somewhere but any longer than that and I used to get homesick anyway.

We just went away for a couple of days, my mum fed all the animals in the morning and evening, and my dad did them in the afternoons.

If we wanted to go away for longer I think I'd ask a friend if she'd mind staying at my place and taking care of all of them.

I'm going away in September and my mom will look after them. She feeds them in the morning anyway (with the food I leave out), and lets them out into their run. I check on them through the day and put them away at night. I'll put the food into piles and make sure she refreshes the hay twice a day.

I went away for a weekend earlier in the year with my mom and stepdad, and we got a neighbour to come over. He didn't give them any fresh hay and I came back to find the top half of the stable door open :cry:. I was so upset and angry.

There is another neighbour who's lovely and loves my rabbits - she used to have two too. I could ask her. There's also 2 girls in the corner who are 9 and 13 who love animals and have hamsters and dogs themselves. I would probably offer them some pocket money to look after the bunnies as they're very responsible and they love animals. Their mom would have to help too obviously!

Failing that I would board them. I've boarded them before when living away from home and it's been great - I haven't worried about them at all.

Thank you all for the replies!!

Bunny boarding sounds fab! Does anyone know if there are any in the northwest area?

I know its probably just me being over cautious as my brother would most likely do a great job looking after them. We use to have a rabbit when we were kids and he loved it. He is 21 now and responsable enough. I dont know. I really would love a holiday but that said I may pine for them a little much. :roll:

I went away for a weekend earlier in the year with my mom and stepdad, and we got a neighbour to come over. He didn't give them any fresh hay and I came back to find the top half of the stable door open :cry:. I was so upset and angry.

That would really upset me too. What did you say to them?

I really cant understand why anyone would agree to look after someones beloved pet when really they have no intention of actually looking after them. :evil:

Just thought I'd add, to make things really easy for the people looking after mine I bagged up the food and hay and wrote on the bags when it was for (ie, Monday Morning) so it couldn't have been more straightforward and had the least chance of it getting buggered up.
For the mice I even prepared spare bowls of water so that mum wouldn't need to rinse out the water bowl, just put a new one in.

When we go to Spain in August we're taking the rabbits to a boarding place. The only down side is they won't be able to run around the garden but their temporary new home is fairly large so they'll be able to binky if they want and it is just that - temporary.

Thank you all for the replies!!

Bunny boarding sounds fab! Does anyone know if there are any in the northwest area?

I know its probably just me being over cautious as my brother would most likely do a great job looking after them. We use to have a rabbit when we were kids and he loved it. He is 21 now and responsable enough. I dont know. I really would love a holiday but that said I may pine for them a little much. :roll:

Bunnyhops is in Bolton. :)

Just thought I'd add, to make things really easy for the people looking after mine I bagged up the food and hay and wrote on the bags when it was for (ie, Monday Morning) so it couldn't have been more straightforward and had the least chance of it getting buggered up.
For the mice I even prepared spare bowls of water so that mum wouldn't need to rinse out the water bowl, just put a new one in.

I do this as well. I pre dust all the tortoise food with calcium and that goes in little bags in the fridge.
Luckily my sister only lives two streets away so if we are just away for a night she can pop in. I'm very lucky to have a kind family.

Mine go to my mums where i have a spare hutch, they get spolit and pampered. Funnily enough my mum doesn't have to deal with temper tantrums, naughtiness or sulks as they are model, well behaved and polite bunnies when they are with her :?

We have used a couple of pet sitters who came in twice a day in the past, they both did a good job, clearly loved animals and I trusted them to look after the bunnies properly.

Back