• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Whisky And Ben Please Help U/D post 39 A Video

Stumpy

Alpha Buck
Hi all,

I have been sat with Whisky and Ben for about 10 minutes now. Whilst there is no fighting, Ben keeps trying to mount Whisky but she runs off and stamps her foot. Is there anything that I can do to help them?

Last edited:
Hi Stumpy. This is definitely normaal behaviour and a good sign. Is the area neutral? Maybe give them a bit of food and just keep going - as long as there is no fighting of more than 3/4 minutes. The longer youn can keep them together then hopefully the sooner they will accept one another. Then they can get down to enjoying their lovely shed etc. Did Ben get used to the ramp? Best of luck.

Hi Stumpy. This is definitely normaal behaviour and a good sign. Is the area neutral? Maybe give them a bit of food and just keep going - as long as there is no fighting of more than 3/4 minutes. The longer youn can keep them together then hopefully the sooner they will accept one another. Then they can get down to enjoying their lovely shed etc. Did Ben get used to the ramp? Best of luck.

Thank you :)

yes the room they are in is a neutral space, i can keep them in this all weekend. I will try some food. what about some hay too? Ben still isn't sure on the ramp but we are going to look at it this weekend and see if we can alter it a little for him.

Thank you again for your help x

Yes hay also. I just said food because they are usually very keen on that. If you make it through the weekend then you should be there. Let us know how it's going.

SAM_0471.jpg

SAM_0470.jpg

SAM_0468.jpg

Am i doing everything right x

Yes that looks great. Did they both eat from theplate together, I think it's early days for that yet but if they eat together that is very good sign.

Just wondered if the area was a bit big for bonding?

I always use a much smaller space - so they are more or less forced to be together. Then I gradually increase it as the bond continues.

But there are lots of different ways of bonding.

Just wondered if the area was a bit big for bonding?

I always use a much smaller space - so they are more or less forced to be together. Then I gradually increase it as the bond continues.

But there are lots of different ways of bonding.

I also thought this

I'd also say it looks a bit big for bonding.

Also, are the wooden things brand new? And the tube? The tube looks nibbled. If it was in with any bun before, it will be 'theirs'. By neutral territory it means EVERYTHING has to be neutral. No toys that would have been in with either of them.

I'd be worried about the levels and the hidey places. It'd be easy for one bun to spook another who was asleep, which could lead to a fight.

IMO, remove all the boxes, tubes and wooden things. More hay and a smaller space. Feed food periodically throughout the day.

P.S you don't seem to have a litter tray? Get a large one and put the hay in there. They'll eat together there and pee/poo together there. Using a litter tray should help stop them using different corners as toilets. You want them to be using the same area for a toilet.

I always bond in a biggish area and have 15 happy pairs. Are you going to keep them together tonight or put them back until tomorrow? I normally separate them the first night so you can get some sleep. But it is up to you.

I agree that the space is too big and you need to take everything out apart from hay/litter tray and water. If you can stay with them overnight that will be better than separating them, or the bonding will take much longer. Good luck! :wave:

I buy a new litter tray to bond with so nobun has ever used it before. I bond in my bedroom so I can sleep with them. I did try bonding in the lounge but the settee was incredibly uncomfortable. I do have to leave them for short periods of time though to go to the loo and feed the rest of my fur family.

Am bonding for Sam (Bluesmum) the week after next so I will be anxiously watching for signs of aggression.

Good luck, Stumpy.

I've bonded bunnies in larger spaces and smaller spaces. In my experience it all depends on the rabbits.

Never had a failed bond yet!!! I'm lucky.

There is loads of helpful information on the behaviour and bonding section. It may be of help.

But to me it sounds quite positive.

Best of luck.:thumb:

Hi everyone

Thank you for all your help.

I'm not separating them tonight we are staying in here with them. also i have taken everything out part from a clean box off hay and some food and water. i have also made the space smaller

photos below is this better???

SAM_0472.jpg

SAM_0473.jpg

SAM_0476.jpg

SAM_0478.jpg

That looks much better! :thumb: and it's a great sign that they're eating together! Looking good. Has there been much humping yet? You might get more tomorrow. How are they acting with each other? Do they sit together at all? :wave:

That looks much better! :thumb: and it's a great sign that they're eating together! Looking good. Has there been much humping yet? You might get more tomorrow. How are they acting with each other? Do they sit together at all? :wave:

Ben has tried about 4 or 5 times and Whisky keeps running off and stamping her foot. They seem fine with each other sniffing and a bit off chasing then Whisky stops and Ben sits with her. they are both eating together and cleaning themselves. they have lied down together once before Whisky went mad and starting running around.

fingers crossed they accept each other soon

Back