• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Extending Cage with a Puppy Pen

Cari

Warren Veteran
As some of you may know, my little boy is off to find his wife with the lovely Aunty Jill at Honeybunnies soon (squee!!)

We are hoping that Stephen will get along well with the rather beautiful Gemini:

geminia.jpg

I am sure she is a wonderful bunny but I am worried about my own bunnyproofing with a new rabbit. I know Stephen is a very good boy and won't test boundaries too much but in that sense I know I am very lucky. They will be free range throughout the house all day, as they will never be on their own for longer than a couple of hours, but I was thinking about extending Stephen's cage and keeping them safe overnight so I know they are both ok. (I'm overly worrying I know, I just don't want to find a bunny behind my television!)

I was thinking about this pen, a Large, Non-Drop pin one. It would give them an extra 22 square feet of space overnight, with their cage attached too. I am thinking of buying the large so they can't jump out. At 36 inches high would that be ok? (Stephen is a Dutchie and Gemini is a Lionhead/Dutch X) Stephen can jump onto the sofa though :?

It will hopefully only be a temporary measure, just as Gemini gets used to the cage as litter tray and safe place, and so I can watch them over the next couple of weeks and ensure that they will be nice and safe throughout the day and night, although my OH is not as trusting as me and always worries about Stephen misbehaving overnight.

I also didn't know what to cover the carpet with (worried about little accidents and nibbles), would a couple of old towels do the trick? A bed sheet maybe? I have an old quilt cover I was going to throw out as it is a bit shabby now?

I've never had to worry about anything like this before and I want everything to be perfect for our new girly, I want her to be safe, comfortable and happy. I've never had two rabbits together and I just want them both to be ok.

Any advice and suggestions would be thoroughly appreciated.

I have 3 of those black runs :) the small one and 2 of the medium, the medium is very high and I can just about climb over it :lol: the large would be harder for them to jump out for sure, just depends on if and how determined they are:lol: I think that will be okay over night though :thumb:

Flooring wise.. We use a blanket for Leo just to protect the carpet he is on from his mass moulting! Less to get up :lol: he digs it but it doesn't damage the carpet, the run pulls up some carpet strands every now and then if it moves but apart from that blankets go down well with mine :) they've never tried to eat them or anything :) a quilt cover will do grat though seeing as it was going to be chucked anyway :thumb:

Obviously when you get them back (and I'm sure it will be explained to you any way) it will be so much easier to extend their space with that run because you can do it panel by panel depending on how they're doing :D

Thank you! :)

The medium one is 2 and a half foot high so I guess that might actually be ok. I can't really gauge it very well because Stevie doesn't really jump up very often. I think Gem is a tiny girly though so I think she'd be ok.
Would it be better to get a net or some mesh to go over the top?

Glad a quilt cover will be ok :thumb: they can pee all over it and dig it up all they like and it wouldn't be a problem!

I did think that about the pen, it would be in a rectangle attached to the front of the cage (not sure what with yet) and then I could use it as a little barrier to slowly increase the size in the living room they would be able to have access to.

Yeah that's the short one I have :D it's quite short, I think the medium one would be best :D with either though to cover it with a net, blanket or sheet would keep them in :D if you put a cover over then the medium one would be best I think in case it dips a bit so it won't interrupt binkies :lol:

Ohh yeah... *D'oh* I did mean to link to the medium one :roll:
I think I'll buy the medium one then in preparation, then I can see whether Stephen can jump out of it and if he can I can look for something to cover it with.

Thanks a lot :)

Ohh yeah... *D'oh* I did mean to link to the medium one :roll:
I think I'll buy the medium one then in preparation, then I can see whether Stephen can jump out of it and if he can I can look for something to cover it with.

Thanks a lot :)

Oh :lol: it sometimes goes back to the original thing whether you link something different from the drop down bit or not :D
They are good :) Leo doesn't jump but Lola and Donny are pros :roll: and they haven't managed it yet:thumb: but I still cover it just in case :lol:

Back