• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mental post spay bun

Geoff's people

Alpha Buck
AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I had Cameo spayed today, and to be honest she has bounced back so quickly that if someone else had taken her I wouldn't have believed she had the op!

However, she is back in her hutch (It is so hot here she will be warmer in there than in the caravan with me) and going mad cos she hasn't got her run:shock::shock:
In the end I put the ramp back as she was going to really hurt herself with her tantrum and she is now happily sitting in the run watching the world go by and eating.

I know this isn't usual practice, but I don't know what else to do! Any suggestions?

:shock: So unlike my girl that sat hunched in her hutch.

All I know is keep her confined in a small space for about a week. Good luck.

All buns are different.Years ago I got my late wee girl cleo spayed. Her husbun Rio was in the living room slobbing on the carpet,so I moved her in her cage in there .(both were house rabbits) This was three hours after her op,I opened the cage door to put some food in and out she leapt,and started binkying all over the place!Cue me in a panic trying to catch her and put her back in the cage,she wasn't having any of it.In the end I left her to lie beside her husbun.I kept an eye on her wound,luckliy she healed really well and only one stitch had come loose.She was fine after her vet check five days later,her fur had even grown back.I lost her last April to severe gut stasis ,and her husbun this year in Feb due to a heart attack,she was 4 and he was 8.

Thanks guys!

I left her to choose between hutch and run and she is fine and dandy today:love:
Her wound is fine, and she is happily eating still.
I have a theory, that after spending so long in a tiny hutch she IS NOT going to be cooped up or confined in anyway again. She stamped and butted the carrier the whole way to the vets in the carrier and the whole way home after the spay:roll:

Thanks guys!

I left her to choose between hutch and run and she is fine and dandy today:love:
I have a theory, that after spending so long in a tiny hutch she IS NOT going to be cooped up or confined in anyway again. She stamped and butted the carrier the whole way to the vets in the carrier and the whole way home after the spay:roll:

:shock: I had to laugh at the butting the carrier.:lol: She has done really well. I think the confinement is to stop the wound from opening. My girl had chewed her stitches.:roll: Thankfully not much.

Thanks guys!

A strong and fiesty little girl! I'm sure she'll be fine as long as you watch her wound etc.

Back