• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I want one!!

Lolly's mum

Mama Doe
an American Pika, related to the rabbit/hare family and soooooooooo cute!!

i dare you all to google it, you'll want one too (but only if you live in cold place)

I researched on them awhile back to find out more about their care. I would love to have some American pikas, they're so cute! :love: They're said to be fragile and easily stressed animals and recently wild caught pikas can die abruptly (due to stress weakening their immune system) but they're much hardier when they've been in captivity for a while, I think. I know there are some breeding groups in Europe to research them further and they're supposed to do well in captivity if their nutritional requirements are met. I'm hoping they become more common in the exotic animal trade, they're really new to the industry. And hopefully global warming doesnt affect them badly or else they'll become protected, it was already considered a couple of years ago to protect them but they decided against it.

I'm in a hot climate but if i were able to get any I'd have a window air conditioner in the room they are housed in (I have a 'real' air conditioner of course but it cools every room in the house, obviously, which is pointless when i only need the room with the pikas really cool) and a back up generator for when the electric goes out due to storms. I'd do the same for chinchillas since they're best kept at around 68F degrees and can get heat stroke easily. Not sure how cool pikas are supposed to be kept, I just know they can die at 77F degrees.

Back