• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I make the pellets easy to eat?

Not been on for a while but hoping someone can spare the time to help

My Alfie bun is struggling in this horrible weather, and his breathing is bad.

He is ok most of the time, but eating seems to be a problem - I'm thinking it might be easier for him to eat pellets if they weren't so hard and took so much effort.

What can I use to mush them down a bit? Not to syringe, but so he can eat on his own.

Any suggestions much appreciated

what about adding some water and then putting them in a bowl mashed up so he can lick them off. Not sure how mushy they get with water never tried!

What pellets do you use?
My Grim has no teeth so I soak his pellets in water before he eats them. Excel and Science Selective both soak well, I just put them in a cup and fill with water to the level of the pellets and let them soak it up for about five minutes. It's also easier for him to eat off plate rather than a bowl with his breathing problems.

What problems does Alfie have? I wonder if a nebuliser would help at all?

He is on excel pellets - so I can try the water thank you.

We don't know what is wrong with him :(

He first got ill about 3 years ago, and since then has had heart scans/x rays/everything you can think of to identify the problem. Everything came back clear - yet he still has trouble breathing sometimes. For the last year of so he has been doing great, but the last few days he is fine, until he tries to eat :(

After all the test the vet decided it might be some form of asthma - so he has an inhaler.

A nebuliser didn't work back then, but if helping him with his pellets doesn't work I can try this again

Where does he live?

Grim has snuffles but being on carpet makes him worse. Even though he's inside right now as it's been easier to give him all his treatment. I think it's the dust. So soaking the pellets would get rid of the dust there.

Thumps_ does something with her hay to get rid of the dust, I can't remember exactly what it is but I think she puts it on a big tray with holes and shakes it?

My Lily had a dreadful spine condition which didnt help her lungs plus she had snuffles.

I fed soaked SS in hot water and allowed to cool.I felt they absorbed the hot water better than cold.

She had one or two blue episodes before we gave in the fight and had her pts...:cry:

Back