• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Prognosis for stomach abscess?

Not sure I fully understand the question/situation.

By stomach, do you actually mean stomach...or do you mean an abscess in the abdomen area?

I'm not sure I'd operate on an abscess on/in the stomach. I think hitting it hard with antibiotics might be a good idea as long as the bun's quality of life is okay, then pts if/when the bun's condition deteriorates.

You can't really drain rabbit abscesses as such, just leave them open for cleaning. Abdominal/chest abscesses are usually easier to treat than those in the head area, although prognosis depends on the exact location and cause (cancer, etc).

Thanks for this. We don't know for sure that's what it is but if he doesn't gain weight that's the most likely cause. He's only just over 1. Will see what the x ray brings but we're seeing if the baycox/lapizole works first. He definitely had pinworms so it may take him a while to bounce back. If he doesn't, an abscess is the most likely possibility... :?

So it is actually in his stomach? Not external.

No I wouldn't operate on that as the risk of infection spreading must be huge :(

What makes you think it is an abscess? Probably not what you want to here but we have lost several young bunnies to cancer in the stomach. I have forgotten the actual name of the cancer but it is very common in rabbits aged around 18 months :cry: There is a bit about it in FHB book

So it is actually in his stomach? Not external.

No I wouldn't operate on that as the risk of infection spreading must be huge :(

What makes you think it is an abscess? Probably not what you want to here but we have lost several young bunnies to cancer in the stomach. I have forgotten the actual name of the cancer but it is very common in rabbits aged around 18 months :cry: There is a bit about it in FHB book
Check Holiday Gift Guides and Michaels Ad.

The vet suspects an abscess but we are trying a combination of a minor dental plus treatment for pin worms/EC/coccidiosis first. He was quite bloated which made it hard to see the stomach properly when the vet tried a scan but the gas seems to have gone now since he's had the meds. He's still struggling to gain weight but it is early days (ie the meds have only had 2/3 days to work). The vet thinks it may be a tumour or abscess though. :( He's 14 months :( He's gone off pellets but is eating hay and fibre-plex. Metacam doesn't seem to make him any better/brighter in himself. :?

The vet suspects an abscess but we are trying a combination of a minor dental plus treatment for pin worms/EC/coccidiosis first. He was quite bloated which made it hard to see the stomach properly when the vet tried a scan but the gas seems to have gone now since he's had the meds. He's still struggling to gain weight but it is early days (ie the meds have only had 2/3 days to work). The vet thinks it may be a tumour or abscess though. :( He's 14 months :( He's gone off pellets but is eating hay and fibre-plex. Metacam doesn't seem to make him any better/brighter in himself. :?

If it is cancer we used zantac and metacam daily and antepsin when he went off food and it gave him some precious extra months.

My Herman had a growth affecting his intestines. We think it was an abscess because he had a recurring abscess on his face too (not dental or injury related). We decided not to open him up because it wouldn't be in his best interest. Zithromax stopped the growth from getting any bigger for about a year, then he went into stasis so we had him pts.

Good luck for your little one x

Back