• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Avoiding Fleas

alec

New Kit
Hi All, My daughter got a baby rabbit - Robbie - for her birthday and I was just wondering wether I could use something like "Spot-On" or a flea collar that is meant for cats etc to avoid him getting fleas. Also, we have a plug in rodent scarer to stop mice coming in the house. Would this have an effect on Robbie? He stays in the house with us and I don't want him to be uncomfortable. The rodent scarer has been unplugged since we got Robbie, just in case.
Thanks

Rabbits don't tend to get fleas and if they do it's nearly always from another pet in the house. There are things you can get from your vet to treat them but I personally wouldn't use anything unless they actually had fleas, instead I'd make sure any other pets in the household were properly treated to stop them spreading them to the rabbit.

Hi All, My daughter got a baby rabbit - Robbie - for her birthday and I was just wondering wether I could use something like "Spot-On" or a flea collar that is meant for cats etc to avoid him getting fleas. Also, we have a plug in rodent scarer to stop mice coming in the house. Would this have an effect on Robbie? He stays in the house with us and I don't want him to be uncomfortable. The rodent scarer has been unplugged since we got Robbie, just in case.
Thanks

As far as I am aware you shouldn't use a flea preventive treatment on rabbits.

You shouldn't put any collar on a rabbit.

I've never heard of a plug in rodent scarer - do mice come into your house then?

Hi there Alec, welcome to the forum :D:wave:

Although there is a version of spot on available for rabbits, it's generally considered not good to use it unless your rabbit already has fleas. It's expensive and has to be done every two weeks, and sticking chemicals into your bunny that often is best avoided unless necessary. You definitely should not put a collar on him because of the risk of him catching it on something or even catching his paws in it. Rabbits have very delicate necks and a good pull on a collar could do some serious damage. I don't have a cat but would assume that if preventing against fleas is regular for them, that you protect the cat instead.

You are definitely right to turn the rodent scarer off, the noise will be very distressing for a bunny.

As far as I am aware you shouldn't use a flea preventive treatment on rabbits.

You shouldn't put any collar on a rabbit.

I've never heard of a plug in rodent scarer - do mice come into your house then?

Thanks to everybody for the advice, I won't use anything that would harm Robbie.
A plug-in rodent scarer is a device with a very high frequency that scares/kills any rodents that come into your house- no we don't have mice any more. We had one about 2 years ago, but the rodent scarer soon saw it off. We live in the country, so it is normal for mice to look for shelter in winter.
As for other pets, we had a Bedlington Terrier, but she died of old age(14 years old) 2 weeks after Robbie arrived, so he won't get fleas from another pet in the house.
Although we have had rabbits before, I am a novice, so please be patient with me if I keep asking questions. It's only because we want Robbie to have a happy life with us

Hello and welcome :wave: evryone here has been great with my questions so don't worry and ask away!
p.s can we see some pictures of Robbie?

Flea collars shouldn't be put on any animal, they don't really work and they have harmful chemicals.

like others have said rabbits tend to not get fleas, when my dogs and cats have gotten fleas my bunnies haven't. Even for cats, dogs, etc I would always get rid of fleas without flea treatment if possible like by vacuuming, flea combing, washing pet blankets, using DE, etc. People overuse flea treatment like how they over vaccinate. This is a really good article on why you shouldn't use flea treatments and how to get rid of fleas without them :) http://www.richsoil.com/flea-control.jsp

Back