• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you who have runs on grass, help

Ninny

Warren Scout
My gorgeous Stanley is back from his holiday with his new wife Frilly but my wonderful litter trained boy is broken, he no longer uses the litter tray and poops all over the grass. He was a house bunny but they now have a outside aviary / shed and will just be inside for the winter. He was only with me for a few weeks before he went to be bonded but seems very happy with his new outside life and its wonderful watching them together.
I pick up as much mess as possible every day but I'm worried it will attract flies so I'd be very grateful for any tips to get him back to the litter tray and train Frilly?

Hi! Does your bunny do it's 'business' in a certain place like a corner or just everywhere? If you introduce the litter tray with his poop already in, then let him sniff it and give him a treat, then he will get to know that it's a good thing. It worked for my lot! :thumb:

Everywhere :roll: I've tried putting a few litter trays out, clearing up as much from the grass as I can and leaving a little bit in their trays as a hint. They've only been out there a week so fingers crossed they may learn

Thanks

I'm sure they will start to choose somewhere to poop. They are probably just excited if they have only been there for a short time! Another way you could try is to sit with them and watch them until they do their 'business' and as soon as they do it, pick them up gently and place them in the litter tray and give them a treat. This worked for my first 3, but it did take a few weeks to get them to properly use the tray :D

Thanks that reassuring. I'll get another tray next to where I sit so I can pop them in it if they go next to me. :)

If it's early days with the bond I suspect as they settle into their new life as a chappy couple the litter training will resume hun!
Both my pairs were dropping poo's all over for a month after their bonds. We are back to our trays now though;)

Buns in the wild use poo to mark territory as well as using established latrines:thumb:

A MONTH!!! :shock: :lol:
Thanks, good to know it will hopefully settle. I don't really have a problem picking some up daily but with the amount I was concerned about flies long term. Frillys a bit nervous of my cat too so I guess thats not helping.
Fingers crossed they'll get back to trays at some point :D

Hi there. Normal droppings don't tend to attract flies I have found and in the wild they scatter their droppings in order to fertisise the ground, so I wouldn't worry too much about flies. Is your cat safe around the rabbits? I know some are and some aren't.

Willows pretty good as I have had Fancy rats and other small furries for most of her life so she's used to other animals. Frilly and Stanley are secure in their run so she could never get to them, not a risk I'd take although I think she would probably be fine. She and Stanley have met when separated by a babygate or the run and shes been more nervous of him :lol:.

Back