• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Deciding when to let go- how do you know (old bunny)- u/d- he's gone

natandfluffs

Alpha Buck
Hi all

Not been on here much lately, no time with a toddler.

Mr Fluff is now almost 15, and has on the whole been very well. He was diagnosed with glaucoma 6 months ago, which is well medicated and he has metacam for his arthritis, which has become progressively worse (understandably) For the last few months he has had the occassional blip where he seems very sleepy and quiet, and I start thinking 'this is it' and then he comes out of it. He's in one at the moment, flopped out at the moment and asleep but looking peaceful. But he's finding it difficult to get up, though when he does is fine. We were away over the weekend so it may be that he's getting over the stress of that (he boarded with the vet) but its raising the question again of when is enough enough.

I don't want to let him suffer but at the same time don't want him to go before he's ready. He's still giving me kisses and munching well.

He's such a dear sweet bun who has been with me for far longer than I have known my husband and frankly is generally a much better source of comfort. It breaks my heart to have to contemplate this :cry:

I'm going to watch for a few days and hope he comes out of it again. Vibes please...!

Last edited:
Goodness me - 15 years old! wow! Mr Fluff sounda an absolute gorgeous little bunny! Sending huge vibes for him to stay well ! xxxx wow - cant believe how old he is! Just fantastic...obviously a very very very happy bunny! xxxx

That's an amazing age! What an awful thing for you to have to think about though. I know exactly how you feel having been there myself (with dogs). I always say that when the light has gone out of their eyes and they're clearly no longer enjoying life, when the bad days outnumber the good, when food is no longer of interest and when any interaction with you is difficult then it's time to help them to a better place. I honestly think that you just know when the time is right - you can see it in their eyes. It's almost as if they're saying to you "help me, I can't carry on like this any more................" :cry::cry::cry:. Thinking of you..........

They ask for help....Its in their little faces.I remember the morning I lost Lily.
Both of us knew....

If his "bad" phases are peaceful ones then I wouldn't worry to much at this point. If he is really struggling whether he knows it or not than is the time to worry and make a decision.

Today we let Lily go who i had also known longer than my husband :( She was still eating well but her body was twisted from a probable stroke last night and already very frail. I knew that she couldn't continue in that body, but whether she knew that or not I don't know. I just felt she deserved to be free of a body that no longer matched her spirit and I am hoping now she is running around happily at the bridge.

what a great age bless him, all i can say is when the time comes if they need helpng on there way to the bridge, you will just know, its like they tell you, as did with my rosie

:wave:

I really feel for you. This is a horrible discision to have to make. We had to make it with my cat over the weekend. My husband and I had him since the begining of our relationship 12 yrs ago and he was our furbaby.
He was diagnosed with a tumour on Wed last week and it was if that had given him permission to give up. He just went down hill sooo fast but he wasn't our cat anymore by Friday.:cry:

Nobody but you will be able to make this choice, I think you will just know. Good Luck and God bless

I really am sorry for you

Wow I've never heard of a bunny living to that age! :shock: that's awesome, and obviously he's been very well looked after! Like everyone else has said, I'm sure you will know when the time comes. Have you any pics? :wave: x

That is a truly amazing age - what a wonderful special rabbit you have whom you clearly love dearly. If he is peaceful and happy even when he is out of it I think that he is just fine where he is and at home with you. Nothing wrong with going naturally in his own time. If you feel he may be suffering then that is different but I am sure you will know if and when that happens.

You must dread losing him, but he will always be with you when he finally goes. xx

Oh god, that made me cry :cry::cry::cry:. I can equate that to all of my pets.

Its true, her body was completely knackered and had been for sometime even though she had no intention of giving up in her head. Sometimes you just have to make the decision for them as they can't comprehend how they will feel the next day or the next, only how they feel in that moment and then maybe sheer stubbornness probably keeps them going when they really shouldn't!

I hope this comes across OK, but when i saw he little body lying there this morning looking so relaxed and peaceful it was nice to see. She looked better than when she was alive.

I am upset and will miss her terribly but at the same time I am glad her time on this earth is now over and she is in a better place binkying away to her hearts content in the body she wanted. Just wish I was there to see it....

Its true, her body was completely knackered and had been for sometime even though she had no intention of giving up in her head. Sometimes you just have to make the decision for them as they can't comprehend how they will feel the next day or the next, only how they feel in that moment and then maybe sheer stubbornness probably keeps them going when they really shouldn't!

I hope this comes across OK, but when i saw he little body lying there this morning looking so relaxed and peaceful it was nice to see. She looked better than when she was alive.

I am upset and will miss her terribly but at the same time I am glad her time on this earth is now over and she is in a better place binkying away to her hearts content in the body she wanted. Just wish I was there to see it....

bless her sounds just like my rosie was :cry: her body too was knackered, but she just wouldn;t let go. it was the week she seemed worse, and when she cried all nght as she kept falling down with her poorly spine

bless her sounds just like my rosie was :cry: her body too was knackered, but she just wouldn;t let go. it was the week she seemed worse, and when she cried all nght as she kept falling down with her poorly spine

Lily's head had tilted and her body was bent so her head was touching her hip but she was still eating with much enthusiasm.

Bunnies truly are amazing when it comes to determination :love:

If his "bad" phases are peaceful ones then I wouldn't worry to much at this point. If he is really struggling whether he knows it or not than is the time to worry and make a decision.

Today we let Lily go who i had also known longer than my husband :( She was still eating well but her body was twisted from a probable stroke last night and already very frail. I knew that she couldn't continue in that body, but whether she knew that or not I don't know. I just felt she deserved to be free of a body that no longer matched her spirit and I am hoping now she is running around happily at the bridge.

I'm sorry Liz :(

I did think of you when I wrote this because I expected that sadly you'll have been here a few times. I don't think his body matches his spirit anymore, but I do think he seems peaceful. I think I'm going to wait til Friday and see how he goes, normally he will be coming out of it again by then.

I'm having an especially hard time because I've lost two already in the last six weeks...

Thank you for all the lovely comments... he is such a special boy. I'm lucky to have known him really, and that he has been with me for so long

Here's a couple of pics (a couple of years old tho, in his glory days, haven't put anything on photobucket for ages)

a12.jpg

Picture075-1.jpg

Lily's head had tilted and her body was bent so her head was touching her hip but she was still eating with much enthusiasm.

Bunnies truly are amazing when it comes to determination :love:

This thread is heartbreaking.. im so sorry for all your losses.. you're all very strong as are your buns, dogs and cats.. It has almost made me more sure though that I will know when Leila wants to go.. if she doesn't regain her mobility.. *sigh* :(

I'm still crossing my fingers though

Oh bless he is beautiful.

If he is peaceful and not frustrated with his body and it doesn't appear to be hurting him then I would let him be.

We had been questioning Lily for many months and decided up until today there was no law against being old and if she was happy just laying in the sun then leave her to it :love:

What a handsome chap he is.
If it were me & one of mine & I knew the end was near, I would rather they were put to sleep at the vets, so they didn't have to go alone, we could say goodbye and so that (selfishly) I didn't go to bed every night wondering if they will cross over in the night, alone.

It's a very personal choice, but I think you always know when they reach 'that' point.
Wishing you all good luck & positive vibes for however much longer you have together. x

Oh bless he is beautiful.

If he is peaceful and not frustrated with his body and it doesn't appear to be hurting him then I would let him be.

We had been questioning Lily for many months and decided up until today there was no law against being old and if she was happy just laying in the sun then leave her to it :love:

This is my thinking. Most old people have down spells. I guess its just knowing when being old just becomes too much, he is steadily getting less mobile. I keep trying to put myself in his shoes, and its hard. But for now he does just seem to be going with it. I've just got everything crossed he is resting and perks up soon.

Back