• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To neuter or not to neuter?

Cytochrome

New Kit
This may be a silly question, I know you should neuter bunnies because of the risk of cancer and hormonal changes, but the reason I can't seem to decide on this is because my bunny ( Buttons) has bad maloclussion; unfortunately he has to be put to sleep to have his teeth shaven down every 1 to 2 months. Now the risks of anaesthetic on buns is quite high, he has to deal with the stress enough allready and now he might have to be put to sleep AGAIN to have his poor wee bits cut? What would you do? Any opinions are welcome. And does anyone know the percentage probability of cancer in male rabbits? If he's going to be healthier overall with having this surgery, then I guess I will have to consider it. :(
Thank you.

Last edited:
This threads got info on is about GA and risks.
I think its very much a personal decision. I'd rather neuter and pair him up. If he's been fine with GA previously I think that's a good sign he would be fine again. Maybe take your vets advice? I don't think male cancer is *that* high in male buns although they can become very sexually frustrated and more likely to exhibit territorial behaviour. If he's happy and getting lots of attention despite being a single bun then if maybe isn't worth the risk.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?271693

Thanks!
He seems happy being a single bun and he's quite a laid back rabbit. But yeah I shall ask my vet and see what their opinion is. I'm so paranoid and indecisive! Lol

Cheers for the link
:)

If he's being put under for his dental anyway, could they not neuter him at the same time? I believe Helennnnnn's Hopscotch had both done under the same GA, but not 100% sure.

In terms of risk, as already mentioned the cancer statistic is a lot less certain in males. If it was a female I'd be herding you out the door on that alone! There is evidence to say that intact males have a higher risk of cancer, though. In terms of himself, it's better for him to be neutered. It will make him less sexually frustrated (I don't know whether he's exhibiting signs of it, but it's likely he has at least some pent up sexual energy!), and generally a more happy and sociable bunny. It also puts you in a great situation if you ever want to get him a wifeybun - no waiting on the neuter (providing the girl is neutered too).

All in all I'd say go for it. He's a male so it's less urgent and gives you time to save too. Plus it costs a bit less and isn't as invasive of a surgery, so less to worry about.

Mini was spayed and xrayed at the same time. I think it would depend on how long each procedure would take but worth asking your vet about.

Furby had a dental and was neutered at the same time.

We (the vet and I) had been waiting for him to get a bit more settled (he was a Lymington bunny) before having him neutered but he stopped eating and needed a dental so we decide to get him neutered while he was under the anaesthetic anyway.

He was a bit confused when he woke up, poor love, but he recovered really quickly. I don't think neutering is that big an op for a male. My guys have always got over their neuter much faster than my girls.

:wave: Bee went in for his neuter and that when his spurs were discovered so they did both at the same time :)

Excellent advice has been given.

Ultimately the chose is yours, but if he were my bunny I would think about getting him neutered at the same time as he is under a GA having his teeth done. Obviously bearing in mind risks etc.

Seek as much advice as possible and then you can make an informed decision.

Best of luck.:thumb:

Herbie had his neuter and his incisors out at the same time. AFAIK it is fairly common to get two things done at once.

My BB went in for plums off and had an x ray done on his spine...

The operation for plums is not so invasive as it is for a female.There maybe a time difference in the time needed for female and male ops.

Ask your vet.Ask him questions.Youre certainly entitled to it,and he wont mind.Afterall, its your pet.......

Thanks guys, you've helped me alot! I may have to bite my tongue and try and get him neutered, and i'll ask the vet if his dental can be done at the same time, if some of your buns have had it then i'm sure they can do it with mine! My bun is going to HATE me; lol. Shall keep you folks updated!
Cheers!

In terms of risk, as already mentioned the cancer statistic is a lot less certain in males. If it was a female I'd be herding you out the door on that alone! There is evidence to say that intact males have a higher risk of cancer, though.

Out of interest do you know what the scientific evidence or papers or studies is/ are? My partner is very interested to read all of these studies.

Ive had two buns who had neuter/spay and dentals at the same time.

That was the same with mine.

My vet asked if I wanted anything done while they were under, and I always say check teeth and do nails. And I only get charged the price of the neuter.

My girl Pepper had a major surgery to remove tumors on her face and her teeth spurs done at the same time. She coped very well with both. I'd get it done at the same time as the burring to reduce the amount of anesthetics he needs to have. Pepper used to have her teeth burred every 4 weeks and each time she took longer to wake up so I totally understand your concerns about that.

My girl Pepper had a major surgery to remove tumors on her face and her teeth spurs done at the same time. She coped very well with both. I'd get it done at the same time as the burring to reduce the amount of anesthetics he needs to have. Pepper used to have her teeth burred every 4 weeks and each time she took longer to wake up so I totally understand your concerns about that.

Omg. Do you know what caused those tumours, did they return after removal? Sounds awful :( Glad you understand.. I rescued Buttons not knowing about his underlying condition, his teeth had to be done every 4 weeks also, but this time he's lasted 2 months without surgery; he'll be going to get them done again soon tho- the problem won't go away fully but at least the time between surgeries is increasing. A neuter/dental session seems to be on the cards then! Poor boy :(

Back