• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Selective hearing??

Kerryyyy

Mama Doe
I didn't know wether this went in behaviour or here, so if it's in the wrong bit then sorry.

Patchies has been causing me a lot of concern recently with his hearing. I don't know wether he is maybe ignoring me but sometimes he will react to noise and other times he won't. For example, he was sitting at the door of his cage where is food bowl is, he was looking around, nose at a nice steady pace. I opened the door and he didn't move, like he never heard me and when I out my hand in to get his bowl he got a big fright and went for me. He had his back to the door.

Sometimes when I speak to him he responds, other times it's like he can't hear me at all. Do you think I am worrying about nothing??

Was he snoozing ? Oscar had selective hearing where he would always here me shout breakfast but never when I said bed time and he had to go in the shed :roll:. I would have thought even if he couldn't hear he'd have felt the vibrations of you opening the door so maybe he was snoozing.

I am certain he was awake. His ears and head were moving when I went up to the door, I think he was cleaning.

I'm certain my buns sometimes day dream or sleep dream so externally they look awake but really they are not paying attention - regardless of their ear and nose movements. Maybe it was that. It's so difficult to tell sometimes especially when they are asleep with their eyes open.

One of my buns definately has selective hearing- he hears what he wants to :lol:

In the day mine can be quite dosile and sleepy, and can easily jump if you catch them out. Sometimes they will be in their own world and not even realise you are there!!

Back