• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sudden death of my beloved bun.... Poison? Any ideas?

Bugalugs

Warren Scout
My darlin bun passed y at lunch time today. She had been her usual lovely funny wonderful self until yesterday at about 12pm. I watch her constantly, and yesterday afternoon she suddenly stopped being herself. She would only eat if i sat with her and hand fed her. She ate a little, drank a little, and outputs were less than usual. Before i went to bed last night she had just eaten and drunk etc so i left her till morning.
This morning she was no better, but no worse.
I called the vet first thing to take her in.
The vet found tiny spurs and a very small ulcer on her tongue, but was suprised if that explained her lack pf appetite. She also had a very very mild discharge to the nose.

An hour and a half after leaving the vet she died.

She had a gutstimulant, and painkillers, and been offered recovery syringe food.

My vet is at a complete loss as am i. The only thing we can think is maybe poison? Ivy leaves fed by an unsuspecting three year old?

Please if anyone can offer any suggestion i'd be so grateful. I have other buns who i'm frantically worried about. A post mortom was decided against as due to the speed of my rabbits demise, outweighed against the cost, it's very unlikely that any result would help my other buns in the case of this occuring again as it was so fast.

Possibly the wrong choice, but no going back now.

All plants of any sort have been ripped out and removed by the way.

she could of developed gut statis f she had eaten very little, it could be a cause of dental issues, as some bunnies are more sensitive to others with dental issues, and a tiny spur to one could cause them a decrease in appetite or not eating at all, im soo sorry to hear about the loss of your bun x

some buns are very sensitive to spurs. bisc had a row of them but they couldn't be seen from a normal mouth check. he became very ill, anaemic, gut stasis. it could be her gut slowed down due to not eating much for a while, and spurs are uncomfortable aswell.

did your 3 year old feed ivy? or are you just trying to think of any possibilites that might have caused her to pass?

sorry for your loss x

I moved and disenfected entire run etc this afternoon as i was worried for other buns and found a stem of what looks like the ivy from a fence panel in out garden. Mythree year loves the buns and it's not beyond realms of possability for him to do that, but really i'm clutching at straws x

regarding hte ivy, ive had bunnies eat it before and had no effects, we donlt have any anymore, but i would think an awful lot would have to be consumed to have an effect

Hello there. So sorry you have lost a rabbit. Just an idea but do you use rabbit food which contains locust beans or buy those treats of locust beans, only they sometimes still contain the seed which ca become lodged in the small intestine, and this can kill a rabbit. Do you know that bindweed is also poisonous as it looks so nice and green you'd think it was ok but it isn't. Hope your other buns are all right.

Back