• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flaky/dried skin on ears

MopsyMops =]

Warren Veteran
I've just been giving Ogs a nose rub and I realised both his ears look like they have dry flaky skin. When I had a better look and a feel, lots of fur came out. There is new fur growth but there is an obvious 'semi- bald' spot now. I've only just noticed this & he hasn't been scratching at his ears or licking/washing them extensively. He is still behaving normally in himself - binkying, flopping, eating and drinking normally and his poo's are fine.

He is having a general check up with the vets in about 2 weeks time (we now have a rabbit savvy vet which I'm soooo happy about!) ...just wondering if I need to make it earlier? :? I've never seen him suffer from flaky or dry skin before.

my buns get dry skin in ears apply abit of olive oil to sort it out, it could be just dry skin, or if seems to be causing you concern could be something worth checking out, like mites or something

Back