• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shadow .....U/D He's gone U/D PM details P48

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
... poor lad was taking ages to eat a Carroty treat this morning and I noticed that his tongue was coming right out of his mouth/across his teeth, it was bizarre, I've never seen a rabbit do that when chewing before. I rang vets just 45 minutes before FHB had an appointment free so no time to think just grabbed Shadow and Binky and left.

His upper incisors just crumble away - there's a sore looking area which is probably fragments of tooth in the place where the tooth is supposed to be and the area round there is sore, probably not helped by the too-long lower incisors. It's only 2 months since they were burred. Unforutnately she could see "something going on" towards the back of his mouth too where it looks sore. His teeth are basically crumbly and wobbly so bound to make his gums sore. :cry::cry: Anyhow, the only two good teeth in his head are his lower incisors but because of the damage they will potentially do to his gums and that they will make it hard for him to eat - he's having them removed, and whatever is deemed necessary on better observation under GA.

I'm really worried about the poor lad, and what will be found on closer inspection tomorrow, when he's having the dental work. He's got his brother staying with him and probably won't be coming home until Thursday.

Any vibes for the little treasure would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Poor boy. This is what happened to Grim when we found the abscesses so vibes it's not that!

Poor boy. This is what happened to Grim when we found the abscesses so vibes it's not that!

Thanks. I worry so much about abscesses for him. I don't know if FHB suspected that, she did have a good feel round his jaw but I would have expected her to do that anyway. She has in the past said he'd be more vulnerable to abscesses than most rabbits, but it's not a given that his general state will lead to them. I just have an awful feeling he will at some point though. An x-ray a year ago showed he had a tiny liver too so I don't know if that will be another complication if he has to fight a serious infection :(

Millions of vibes from me.

I have an incisorless bun Herbie, a couple of his teeth grew back in after the op, he had to get the op again, now he has a peg tooth that he just has to get burred.

If it makes you feel any better Grim had two, in the jaw where the incisor roots were. Non bunny savvy vet said put to sleep. I refused. Bunny savvy vet put him on penicillin injections and after eight weeks they were gone and never came back. :)

Lots of vibes from me for tomorrow. Keep us posted. :love::love:

Thank you :love:

I'm so scared that there's something really horrible going on at the back of his mouth.

I get to find out how it went about 3.30 pm, unless I get a phone call beforehand.

Fingers crossed for the wee man......hope he makes a safe transition into the gummy bunny gang.

Still thinking of Shadow - I hope there aren't too many suprises once FHB manages to have a good look in his mouth. xxx

Lots of vibes (sorry only just seen this thread).

This is something I think Poppy will be having done soon and I share your fears of abcesses, it can feel like a ticking time bomb.

Hope all is going/has gone well for your special little one.x.x.

Thanks all for the good wishes.

The phone hasn't rung and I was expecting the procedure to be done in the morning so fingers cross the GA went well.

I'm off to work now so probably can't post until after 7pm, depending whether I can sneak onto RU in the meantime

Back