• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do about the Humping!

Furballs

Young Bun
Following my previous posts my two have now been together 24/7 since Saturday night. There has been no fighting or fur pulling. During the day they are happily cuddled up together snoozing away. Night time comes and he spends most of the night chasing her round the cage trying to hump her! This has happened 3 nights on the trot now. She does'nt seem too put out by the situation - other than the fact that she keeps running away, and then the next minute does a massive flop at the side of him.
I am however concerned about how long I let this go on for. Obviously I can't sit with them all night every night, and worry that if she gets fed up a fight may break out! but surely if I split them up we are going backwards? The advice of an experienced bonder would be appreciated - I am a newbie.

They will be more active at night that's normal. The humping is an assertion of dominance and so is the chasing. If she doesnt react that's ok - she's accepted he is boss. The flop you describe is a display of relaxation - it's called "the dead bunny flop" and shows a happy bun. I wouldnt worry to be honest just keep your eye out for nipped ears. They should soon calm down. Give it a few days.

It will be clear who's boss soon enough. The bun who gets groomed the most is usually top bun.

The grooming is interesting really. Before they got their new cage (and were seperate) she was definately top bun with him grooming her all the time. Since they got their new cage, and the humping has begun she is also now grooming him, and he sometimes refuses to groom her !!

Yes I have the same behaviour from mine. I have 2 unspayed does (not old enough yet).and Bramble will sometimes refuse to groom Bluebell. It's totally normal. I'm sure they will be fine. Make sure he still shows her some affection - laying together / occasional grooming etc and they will be just fine. I bet by this time next week the chasing humping etc has stopped. Mine still hump every so often but it's just their nature. As long as there's no agression you will be fine.

Yes I have the same behaviour from mine. I have 2 unspayed does (not old enough yet).and Bramble will sometimes refuse to groom Bluebell. It's totally normal. I'm sure they will be fine. Make sure he still shows her some affection - laying together / occasional grooming etc and they will be just fine. I bet by this time next week the chasing humping etc has stopped. Mine still hump every so often but it's just their nature. As long as there's no agression you will be fine.

Thanks for the advice. Fingers crossed things will calm down in a few days. He does still groom her, just not as much as previously, and they do lay and cuddle up together. I'm determined to get there eventually!

Sounds like you're just about there to me! Keep us updated! :thumb:

PS I demand pics of them together lookin cute ;)

Just have a couple until I manage to take some more!

CIMG1082.jpg

CIMG1081.jpg

Last edited:
Those pics are just..... :love: awwww!!!

And regarding piggie / rabbit humping I have no idea! A lot of other members have piggies though - try posting a thread om here you should get a response from one of the experts! I dont know anythin about piggies sowwie :wave:

They are gorgeous buns and especially loving the second pic :love:. You're much braver than me as I'm also a rabbit newbie but Stanley went off to the Rabbit Residence to meet Frilly and be bonded. He was also doing the same thing but I haven't seen any evidence since he got home, toys seem to distract him and lots of space.

I have to admit i've found it all very nerve racking! much harder than I initially anticipated, but I think it is worth it. He's still humping her at night time, although not as much - but to be honest she does'nt seem to care less! We are 6 days in of them living together now so fingers crossed everything is going to be OK. Its great to see them cuddled up together snoozing away. :love:

Back