• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt? Help please!

Bugalugs

Warren Scout
One of my does is not her usual hilarious self today....
She is eating, pooping, weeing, drinking...... But not AS much. She is not herself, but not anything that would cause alarm in anyone less paranoid!

I know nothing about head tilt etc but i' m not sure if i'm being paranoid, i think her head is tilted SLIGHTLY?

Is it my imagination or should i be worried? We'll be going to vets tomorrow but best to go armed with all the info possible x

It could be the start of a head tilt- definitely get it checked out. I would watch for other signs too such as scratching her ears, a funny smell from the ears, balance/mobility problems or twitching of the eyes xx

As the above posts really - you are doing the right thing getting her checked - hope the vet is rabbit savvy.

Antibiotics are needed just in case it is an ear infection (may not be 'seen' as could be deep within the ear), also metacam - an anti inflamatory and pain relief for the pain for the possible ear infection and also a double whammy because if it is e-cuniculi this is a great medication to help reduce the inflamation in the brain etc that causes the head tilt - it could be a symptom of e-cuniculi and also if it is EC - panacur - preferably 10% solution however this is not licensed for use in rabbits and probably only a rabbit savvy vet would be confident enough to prescribe it - sorry can't remember the dose. If the panacur solution is 2.5% or even paste that is better than nothing at all but a 28 day dose is the best option not the nine day dose that is given for worming etc.

If you have any other buns I would suggest getting panacur for them too - again a 28 day dose. If it is EC it could save a lot of suffering and heart ache, if it isn't EC it will do no harm.

EC spores can live for up to 28 days outside of the body so look to do a thorough clean anyway. one part bleach, 9 parts water, leav it in contact with whatever is being cleaned for 30 seconds at least and then swill thoroughly in clean water.

Hope your vet can help

Let us know how she goes :wave:

Back