• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Depression in rabbits.

Bugalugs

Warren Scout
Having had a conversation in the playground re; depression in rabbits, the general feeling was that i was a soppy fool. Having previously moved a grieving rabbit inside because she had lost her sister to a fox attack and would only eat if i sat with her and hand fed her, i firmly believe that grief in rabbits can lead to depression and was womdering what you all thought about this, and if you believe in it, how you would think it manifests itself?

I've seen grief and depression in my bunnies when they lost their partner. No doubt about it whatsoever! When adelle lost Sherlock she became very clingy, didn't want to leave my side, needed lots of cuddles and attention, was very sad and mopey and inactive.

Recently my two girls verity and sienna lost our beloved Watson. They've gone from being huge binky, happy nutcases, to very quiet, reserved bunnies with very sad eyes and have lost a lot of confidence. We've moved them into our kitchen (as free range bunnies) so that we can shower them with extra love and attention whilst we grieve together for our loss.

Anyone who says bunnies don't get depression have never known a bunny. Pure and simple.

Rabbits can certainly become depressed, not only through grief, but basically if they are denied any of the essentials they need for a happy life. Single rabbits need to be watched for signs of depression, and having moved my bachelor bun indoors (originally just to convalesce from an illness) there is no way I would be happy sticking him in a hutch, or even a shed on his own.

I would definitely say they can, having seen them all be a bit quieter after the loss of a partner. One in particular lost 2 in quick succession, the second time she was on her own for around 2 months and she was very mopey and not interested in much. I actually thought she was just going to give up and die. The difference in her after the introduction of her beloved Oliver was amazing:D

Back