• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Muffin not well - HELP NEEDED

likeRAWR

Warren Scout
I noticed Muffin had not ran for her pellets last night and they were still there this morning, and the same amount of hay was there.
I tried to tempt her with treats and veg, still nothing.

I put in a bowl of water to see if she would drink out if that instead of a bottle and at about 11am she started to slowly sip some.
That's when I noticed her grinding her teeth.
I 'mushed' up some of her pellets with water to see if she would try that, and nothing.

She's usually a very active bunny and she's just staying in the same spot, only moving to sip some water.
I've placed everything around her; hay, water, pellets, treats.

I just came back from the vet and gave her an antibiotic injection and me recovery food to feed her every hour, and to come back in the morning as her temperature is too low 97degreesF, to put her under today to check her teeth.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Is it her teeth or something else?
I'm really worried

Was she given pain relief and fluids?

Do they have any idea what they think is causing it?

Was she given pain relief and fluids?

Do they have any idea what they think is causing it?

Just given the pain relief and the recovery food.
Vet thinks it's her teeth but doesn't know why her temperature is that low,
and said if she still isn't eating by tomorrow, will put her under to check her teeth, but it's risky

You need to bring her indoors and provide her with a heatpad. Unless her body temperature can be raised to a normal level she will become extremely sick. I am very surprised that the Vet did not admit her tonight.

Has she *definitely* had pain relief ? In your OP you said it was antibiotics that were given

Has she poo'd today ?

You need to bring her indoors and provide her with a heatpad. Unless her body temperature can be raised to a normal level she will become extremely sick. I am very surprised that the Vet did not admit her tonight.

Has she *definitely* had pain relief ? In your OP you said it was antibiotics that were given

Has she poo'd today ?

She is an indoor bunny, I've padded up the area she is in with blankets and she has a heatpad.
She had Metacam as well at the antibiotic, forgot to mention

No she hasn't poo'd, just pee'd a little.

I've just now finished her first syringe of recovery food and that went down ok and she's just siping water for the last 5minutes and cleaning.
She seems to be moving around just a bit more than before

Back