• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question Re: New Base for the Run

Hi All
I moved house in February and we've got a lovely garden so have been able to put the rabbit run on the grass (I have a hutch run combo). Unfortunately one of my bunnies has excavated a massive tunnel and if I try to block up the hole, she just starts another one. The one rabbit is 7 and has never dug a hole in his life so I've never worried about putting him in a run thats on grass or even just letting him loose in the garden. The other is a rescue rabbit which I've had for 18months - I got her shortly after I moved last time and as it happens the run in that house had bricks and wood underneath so she couldn't dig.

My query is about the best thing to put under the run? The wood wasn't ideal as they slipped about a bit on it, and I'm having a baby soon so don't currently have the cash to buy a big enough piece.

I wondered about mesh - but wasn't sure if they'd get their paws caught in it, or maybe artificial grass - but they chew so wouldn't be suprised if they tried to eat it.

They absolutely love being on the grass and at the moment are shut in the hutch so I need a solution that I can do quickly and cheaply.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Just pop the run on the patio, or if you dont have one get some paving slabs :)

Mesh all over the bottom is not good for their feet, but you can use houdini kits that go around the outside, they dont stop them digging but as they start further back it should give you enough time to move the run if they dig. This is it: http://www.the-rabbit-hutch-shop.com/houdini-anti-burrow-rabbit-run-kits.html and the Rabbit Welfare Association did a review of it (whilst reviewing a hutch and run) which is worth a read: http://www.the-rabbit-hutch-shop.co...tch-and-run-of-the-year-competition-feedback/

We have artificial grass in our garden and my 2 rabbits don't ever bother chewing it, but they chew anything else.
I haven't tried my new 6 on the artificial grass yet but Im hoping they don't chew it!

Our grass cost a lot, but I have seen some rolls in B&Q on sale now so might be worth a try :)

Back