• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The ducklings today....

chul

Staff member
20120624_203610.jpg

20120624_203208.jpg

20120624_202318.jpg

20120624_201804.jpg

20120624_201832.jpg

:love::love:

We saw some ducklings at the farm shop today, my son said 'muuuuum'.....'nooooo' said I:lol::lol::lol: They are lovely though:love:

Where do they live by the way? Do they go outside?
They've got such cute little faces so I came back for another look.

Where do they live by the way? Do they go outside?
They've got such cute little faces so I came back for another look.

They live outside now! We have a large hutch with an attached run which they have constant access to. They rarely go inside the hutch :lol: But they come inside the house for bathtime at the moment as they are still not 'waterproof'

They live outside now! We have a large hutch with an attached run which they have constant access to. They rarely go inside the hutch :lol: But they come inside the house for bathtime at the moment as they are still not 'waterproof'

Oh didn't realise they could live in a hutch and run!
What do the cats think of them?!

Miggy likes sitting at the window watching them, but they never have close contact to think more than that :lol:

Ah course that's good then. If they were at mine Gordon would be after them through the bars.
Sorry I ask so many questions I'm fascinated by ducks as pets :lol:

They are getting so big! It's amazing how quickly ducklings grow.

Oh didn't realise they could live in a hutch and run!
What do the cats think of them?!

Well adults cant be kept in a rabbit hutch and run - not nearly big enough. I have seen people on duck forums keep call ducks in a hutch but I don't agree with it at all. Just because calls are small doesn't mean its okay. It's fine for duckling though, they actually need a 'brooder', provided it's either indoors or warm enough outside or with a heat lamp on the hutch - I like to stress the heat lamp thing to novices because ducklings do die from no heat lamp and theres no excuse for that.

Chul's are probably old enough now though and have got each other to cuddle. mine are now 17 days old and downgraded to a 60 watt bulb yesterday (though my bedroom has been kept at about 75-78F degrees lately). it's just I hate any misconceptions about ducks (probably one of my top pet peeves is people feeding ducks/geese bread :evil: saw that on a tv show yesterday and felt my blood pressure rise!) so feel I must make things like that clear to anyone interested in ducks :lol:

Oddly I've never seen any cat interested in ducklings or adult ducks. I have 9 indoor cats, 1 outdoor cat, and I take care of a feral and my neighbors 2 cats and the outdoor ones have never show any interest in the wild ducklings and my indoor cats don't go anywhere near my ducklings. They think they're weird, possibly dangerous creatures :lol:

They are getting so big! It's amazing how quickly ducklings grow.

Well adults cant be kept in a rabbit hutch and run - not nearly big enough. I have seen people on duck forums keep call ducks in a hutch but I don't agree with it at all. Just because calls are small doesn't mean its okay. It's fine for duckling though, they actually need a 'brooder', provided it's either indoors or warm enough outside or with a heat lamp on the hutch - I like to stress the heat lamp thing to novices because ducklings do die from no heat lamp and theres no excuse for that.

Chul's are probably old enough now though and have got each other to cuddle. mine are now 17 days old and downgraded to a 60 watt bulb yesterday (though my bedroom has been kept at about 75-78F degrees lately). it's just I hate any misconceptions about ducks (probably one of my top pet peeves is people feeding ducks/geese bread :evil: saw that on a tv show yesterday and felt my blood pressure rise!) so feel I must make things like that clear to anyone interested in ducks :lol:

Oddly I've never seen any cat interested in ducklings or adult ducks. I have 9 indoor cats, 1 outdoor cat, and I take care of a feral and my neighbors 2 cats and the outdoor ones have never show any interest in the wild ducklings and my indoor cats don't go anywhere near my ducklings. They think they're weird, possibly dangerous creatures :lol:

How can you say that without knowing sizes? :? What size accomodation are yours in?

How can you say that without knowing sizes? :? What size accomodation are yours in?

Rabbit hutches and runs are hardly big enough for rabbits, much less ducks. Unless it's big and custom made... I assumed you were talking about ones that you buy at a store, like the usual 6x2 hutch and a 6x4 run and I assumed that you were only using it as a brooder :?

Mine free range certain rooms indoors - mostly the living room, my bedroom and the bathroom and for outdoors they have a chainlink dog kennel that we predator proofed. I believe the dog kennel is 12x10x6 or possibly 10x10x6 (that's length, width, height). But the dog kennel is too small for all the ducks I have now that I have the 2 muscovy ducklings and Mallory (I have 7 ducks now) so I'll be upgrading it so it's at least 20 ft longer. I've actually been wanting to upgrade for awhile because May, one of my pekins, stays in the dog kennel 24/7 (he's my only one that doesn't get free range indoors for hours everyday too) and I just feel it isn't big enough for him.

Back