• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poory bun :( Help please.

deb_h

Warren Scout
I adopted a bunny on Thursday to hopefully bond with Lola (my lone bun). She has been eating fine but when I got up this morning she would not touch her food.

I managed to get her into the emergency vets and she said she has a bit of bloat.

She gave her 2 injections (metacam and Emeprid), some Ranitidine solution and Critical care. I had to go to work this evening and so gave her CC before I left and then left some in a dish for her. I was on a short shift and mentioned it to the vet who said not to worry and just give it her before I left and then again as soon as I got home.

When I got home she looks a little more bloated. She has pooped but its now mushy. Is that from the CC?

I just gave her more CC which she licked off my finger rather than letting me shringe it. She took approx 5ml and looked to be enjoying it but then refused to take more. The vet said 5-10ml every couple off hours. Would I be ok to try her with a little more in half hour rather than force it down or should I just go ahead and shringe more?

This is the first time I have had a sick bunny and im so worried about her. I dont want to stress the poor thing out any more.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

I would be inclined to leave it half an hour and then try her again, you don't want to stress her out and add to her problems. I would also put some of her favourite foods in front of her as she may begin to fancy things again and start eating herself which would be the best situation. Hope she starts feeling better soon xx

Hi, Thank you for the advice and concern :)

She seems the same as last night tbh. Her tummy is very bloated and she still wont eat. We are back at the vets at 12.50 today but from what I have read on the internet I dont think its looking very good for her. I am absolutely gutted. :cry:

Hi, Thank you for the advice and concern :)

She seems the same as last night tbh. Her tummy is very bloated and she still wont eat. We are back at the vets at 12.50 today but from what I have read on the internet I dont think its looking very good for her. I am absolutely gutted. :cry:

Yes, it is serious and your bunny is very poorly - but please don't give up hope. Let us know how you get on.

I have just spent a week nursing a bunny with GI statis and she did have a bit of gas in her intestines (confirmed by an x-ray). Ask your vet if you can try giving her some infacol which may help disperse the gas. Has a blockage been ruled out.

Try to get her to eat on her own. I had success with coriander, thyme, carrot tops but some buns eat parsley, mint when they feeel poorly.

If you have any access to blackberry leaves, hawthorn (no flowers or berries) then you could try to tempt her with these too.

I hope she feels better soon.

Just wondering how you got on at the vet appointment? Hope it went well and you were able to get help.

Thank you everyone for you kind words :)

We took her in and the vet said she had declined. They admitted her and gave her the following:
Septrin Peadiatric suspension (100ml)
Vetergesic (0.3mg) 1ml ampoule (CD Schedule)
Ranitidie solutionand
Fluids subcutaneous

I picked her back up around 6pm and she doesnt look any better :( I gave her some more CC about 40 mins ago and she just sort of let me squirt it in but it was pooling back out at the front under her nose. Some must have gone down but she wasnt as recipertive if you get what I mean. She looks utterly exhausted! It really is heart breaking watching her deteriorate. :cry:

I am going to try her on some more shortly but I really dont think she is going to come round. I cant tell you how sad I feel. I know she has only been with us 3 short days but it is still hard.

Almost forgot to mention I have been trying to tempt her round with all sorts, Corriander, Thyme, Mint, Basil, Parsley, carrot etc.. I have even put a little turf in there but she is just not interested. She has a constant fresh supply of Excel Fresh Herbage (Dandelion and Marigold) hay but doesnt even give it a sniff.

Any more suggestions are more than welcome.

Oh i feel so sick, my heart is aching for her. :cry::cry::cry:

Vetergesic can make them tired. I had not realised this last week when mine was given it.

Will she take any fluids. Try some water with a dash of boiling in to make it luke warm. Try the critical care in smoother consistency (mine prefer it like this).

Tickle her whiskers with the herbs and stroke the top of her nose. Do you have a blackbery bush nearby, this is one of the first things Katy would take.

Did you check with your vet about the infacol, a lot of people on here use it. I did check with my vet before giving it.

You could try to give her some gentle tummy rubs. Do you have a heat pad (snuggle safe) in case she want s to lie on it. If not I think you can put rice into a sock and heat that in the microwave.

In case you pick anything else up, here is my thread fromfrom last week as there is excellent advice in it. (you are doing most of it anyway).
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?345021-Katy-is-not-eating-u-d-much-better

Sending her MEGA VIBES for a quick recovery.

ETA - I did chase Katy around the garden gently as it can help to get things moving too.

Last edited:
Sending mega mega mega vibes

We have gone through stasis before, Sparky had a terrible bout about a year and a half ago. Our approach has been to bring bunny indoors and wrap a hot water bottle in towel and leave near where the bun feels comfortable. We also get some small bowls and put different things in each one so they have a little bunny feast to choose from. Ours go nuts for kale or brocolli, but you do have to be careful with these as too much can cause gas. Having said that, Sparky survived a good five days on nothing but kale and some hay!

We have also administered infacol, our vet is happy for us to do this and does allow us to have a big bottle of metacam and emeprid on hand at home just in case. We also put a pro-biotic in the water, it's just a pets at home own brand one. We also make sure we syringe water into the bun at least 10ml every few hours and it is important to keep the gut hydrated. To this end we also made the critical care quite watery and then begin to thicken it with every feed. We tend to use Oxbrow critical care. We have also in the past let the bun out in the living room overnight whilst we slept on the sofas, thereby providing plenty of room to run about, I have been the past just gently nudged them as well so that they move!

Hope bunny gets better very soon!

Thank you both. It is such a relief to hear it can make them tiered. I thought it may have been her giving up and was beginning to loosing hope.

I was thinking of bringing her in for the night but was scared I may stress her more with her being back and forth at the vets etc.. I did actually mention it to the vet and she said if our house is loud (which it is) then she would be better in the hutch. I have got some polystirein sheeting though and lay one accross the top, back and side of the hutch. It also has a snuggle thing on it. I heat some rice up for her and see if that helps. Should I bring her in for a little while, see if I can encourage her to have a move about?

Also the vet said they dont need CC through the night? when should I give her a last feed? I am working 11-8 tomorrow but sorted it so I can take her with me. We are back at the vets at 9.40.

I really am fearing the worst now. I have tried to feed CC her but it isnt going down. I almost fill her mouth and she does nothing, no swollow or anything. Also tried water and gave her her meds but doesnt look like its going down. I am letting her rest but am beside my self with worry. I feel sick.

Do you think it is the drugs? :cry:

Thank you both. It is such a relief to hear it can make them tiered. I thought it may have been her giving up and was beginning to loosing hope.

I was thinking of bringing her in for the night but was scared I may stress her more with her being back and forth at the vets etc.. I did actually mention it to the vet and she said if our house is loud (which it is) then she would be better in the hutch. I have got some polystirein sheeting though and lay one accross the top, back and side of the hutch. It also has a snuggle thing on it. I heat some rice up for her and see if that helps. Should I bring her in for a little while, see if I can encourage her to have a move about?

Also the vet said they dont need CC through the night? when should I give her a last feed? I am working 11-8 tomorrow but sorted it so I can take her with me. We are back at the vets at 9.40.

Don't forget to put it in a sock as it is only to snuggle into.

If she will take critical care then let her take it as and when she will. You and her also need some sleep, easier said than done I know. I tended to stay with her until 12.30 - 1.30 ish and then up early.

If she is the same tomorrow ask you vet if she could be admitted an put on an IV drip for some fluids. If it is gas, ask about the infacol (apparently you can't get gripe water at the moment which does a similar job).

Oxbow Critical Care is the one that we use too (the fine blend is easier to syringe) if you can get hold of it, I find it much better than the others. I always keep some in my first aid kit and get it from VetsUK.

I think some people use pro-fibre too which is like a syringe feed.

I was also advised to give my bun some fresh pineapple juice. You have to be careful of not giving too much due to sugar content but in this situation it is worth a try. We also gave Katy Kale and she preferred this over some other things too.

My husband ordered me to pop her back in her bed and let her relax :( I just keep crying. Poor baby, I dont want her to suffer. The vet injected her with pain killers though so hopefully that is still working. I asked if they had one for me to take home but they said the jab do the trick.

Also the Oxbow Critical Care fine is the one the vet gave to me yesterday. She was at the vets all day today so I know she will have had everything she needed. I will get some pineapple juice tomorrow :)

Thank you very much for all of your help btw and I am very sorry if i sound vague, im just so upset :( xx

Don't apologise, I was like you last week and felt like she was giving up. It is a serious condition but it sounds like you are doing everything possible to give her the best chance. Comfort her and reassure her too.

The painkillers should last if the vet gave her them (they normally do a 24 hour dose)

I tend to get a fresh pineapple and just hand squeeze it into a glass and syringe some. Don't forget to ask about the infacol too.

I hope she is feeling better in the morning. Hugs x

Back