• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is sand safe for buns?

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
We're looking at getting a big dig box for the buns (esp for Buttons as she digs like crazy all the time). I'm wondering if they'd be ok with some children's play sand? Or should I just stick to soil? :)

Also, what do you guys do to keep your buns entertained? Mine don't like cardboard rolls (Nibbles does like chewing wires though :shock:), they do like the washing basket and hiding in things so they've got boxes and whatnot. We've tried balls as well but they're not bothered by those either...

I'm not sure about the sand, but my bun likes hiding in things as well, she hid in a pile of clothes earlier, and she enjoys curling up in tubes.
Have you tried using balls they can chew on? Marmite has one thats made of wood and painted with pet-safe vegetable dye, she loves nibbling it and ends up pushing it around at the same time! It's not ball shaped, but it's round and it moves hehe. :wave:

I'm not sure about the sand, but my bun likes hiding in things as well, she hid in a pile of clothes earlier, and she enjoys curling up in tubes.
Have you tried using balls they can chew on? Marmite has one thats made of wood and painted with pet-safe vegetable dye, she loves nibbling it and ends up pushing it around at the same time! It's not ball shaped, but it's round and it moves hehe. :wave:

I've been thinking of trying some willow balls from zooplus, but they don't eat the willow sticks they have so I'm not sure. Since they were separated two weeks ago (boy/girl) they have been a lot quieter :(

If they aren't keen on sticks, then the ball probably wouldn't do much good.. Unless it has some vegetable dye, which may make it taste different and they may enjoy it more? It's worth a shot.

Awww bless them :( They're probably just not used to being without each other, I'm sure they'll adjust :)

IMO willow sticks are 'different' to the balls. My 3 (Poppy can't chew things like that) love willow balls and they are destroyed in days :thumb: willow sticks however... They chew they a bit but ignore them. I think the balls are more interesting because they can throw them around too :D I reccommend them :thumb:

Sand wise it can get into their eyes etc. Soil is good I think :thumb:

Last edited:
I wouldn't use sand - soil would be fine. I planted a couple of little supermarket herb pots in my diggy boxes but they didn't last long :lol::lol:

I would have thought just sand would be too fine, even if you kept it damp, and so would get in their ears and eyes. Mine have compost which I water now and then to stop it getting too dry and dusty. They love it, particularly in the warm weather we had (a distant memory now) as they lay on it because, being damp, it was cool. They also use it as a litter tray. Nice. :shock: :roll:

We have some garden pots on the kitchen floor as the plants died and they're just not being used for anything... they're now covered in poops where Nibbles has sat on it :lol:

Back