• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leila Can't Walk On Hind Legs, *Sad News - PTS 8/9/12*

Dawn&Leila

Warren Scout
For the full story please see tis thread I started earlier - http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...w-Now-Hind..-Help-and-Suggestions-Appreciated

Just venting and hoping for some advice and healing/walking vibes..

I have just rang the emergancy vets to get advice. The vets happens to be in the same villiage I'm in but they wanted £135 for a consultation and didn't really give any advice. I do have quite a bit left from my paycheck this month and also some savings (but wont have access to those til 1st of the July) I am just worried though that if I do have to pay out for an emergancy (non rabbit savvy) vet today, then on top of that for whatever treatment they give her that I will run out of savings before we get to the bottom of all this.. (we've just moved house so the rest of my savings went into a deposit last month! Terrible timing for my poor girl)

OR I can keep her happy tonight, keep a very close eye on her.. Bathe her bottom and feet if they get wet in wee, change positions regularly get water down her (she's had her metacam) and keep placing lots of tasty foods and fresh hay by her then get to Christabel in Twickenham first thing tomorrow morning. She's eating quite a lot, happily nibbling almost constantly on hay, eating kale, broc, carrot, sunflower seeds, the odd craisin, banana chip and a few science selective pellets. Pretty much anything I place infront of her and she drinks when I give her the water bottle or place dish by her. She'spooing lots and weeing, especially when I lift up her back end for her. She does respond to touch if I touch inbetween her toes, she pulls the leg away/jolts it and occasionally shivers them as if stretching. She just cant stand on the hind ones. Her front paws are still strong and she tries to pull herself about.

I think I am happy to do the latter because of the fact she's acting normal in pretty much every other way, if she wasn't or she suddenly went downhill; I'd do the former but in the long run waiting til tomorrow morn might allow her better treatment, from a better vet and and more options. Only worry is if waiting is making this more permenant. Not sure how much difference 15 hours or so will make.

It's a really difficult situation but she's acting like such an angel, just getting on with it.

Also neither me nor my partner drive so I might have to get taxis tomorrow as public transport would obviously be a no! If anyone is near my (hersham/walton-on-thames) and heading that way and could offer a lift (i'd pay for petrol of course) that would be really handy..

Thanks for allowing me to vent and if you can offer any help/advice/healing vibes I would truly and eternally appreciate it :love:

I love my Leila bun so much, she's been like a best friend to me through the roughest times.. it's horrible seeing the cheekiest most sprightly bunny I've ever met like this.. :cry:

5494_131696261254_4150910_n.jpg

Me and Leila
522762_10150852434776255_89826046_n.jpg

These are some old photos of Leila in her youth - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4315836254.739.507166254&type=3

Last edited:
Sending vibes!

If you keep her at home overnight, it might be best to keep her in a restricted area (cage or crate) where she has food and water in easy reach.

From everything I have heard, I think Christobel and Laura at the practice Jane recommended will give your bun excellent care, whatever the cause turns out to be.

There are plenty of threads about EC and other problems on here - one of our buns had EC 2 years ago but it started with headtilt rather than hind leg weakness. If it turns out to be that, I'm happy to chat over PMs or on a thread. (to be honest, though, we mostly passed on ideas that Jane suggested to our vet, who was happy to try them & it helped!)

Sending vibes!

If you keep her at home overnight, it might be best to keep her in a restricted area (cage or crate) where she has food and water in easy reach.

From everything I have heard, I think Christobel and Laura at the practice Jane recommended will give your bun excellent care, whatever the cause turns out to be.

There are plenty of threads about EC and other problems on here - one of our buns had EC 2 years ago but it started with headtilt rather than hind leg weakness. If it turns out to be that, I'm happy to chat over PMs or on a thread. (to be honest, though, we mostly passed on ideas that Jane suggested to our vet, who was happy to try them & it helped!)

Thanks for the help and kind words Kate :)

Did your bunny's head tilt improve with EC treatment and what was it given as treatment? xx

Does your bunny have difficulty turning, have a slight head tilt, are the eyes larger or swollen or bulging? Are the eyes flickering, is there a lot of white showing in the eye?

These are other signs of EC

Does your bunny have difficulty turning, have a slight head tilt, are the eyes larger or swollen or bulging? Are the eyes flickering, is there a lot of white showing in the eye?

These are other signs of EC

None of these... :? not sure what's worse.. to have them or not to.. just because the other causes might not be as easily treated..

She does, however seem urinary incontinent.. which is mentioned on here - http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/ecuniculi.htm

Last edited:
just because your bun doesnt have these dsnt mean they dont have ec its just another tell tale sign

It'll just have to be a wait and see game until tomorrow morn, hopefully the ladies at twickenham will have some answers or ideas.. I've been assured she'll be in very capable and caring hands..

For now she's in her cage on a soft towel with lots of fresh hay and im periodically offering water and veggies and other food.. she's really wanting to explore though, seeing as we've just moved, she keeps pulling herself as high as she can with her front paws and sniffing the air. I'm so impressed with her determination and how she isn't feeling sorry for herself, despite how sorry I'm feeling for her!

your doing your best for her *Hugs* what ever it is you will do what you can and the vets will do what they can and your bun will fight the best she can

Freshly washed veggies (so they're still wet) can help keep her water intake up if she can't get to bowl/bottle herself.

Brownie had panacur, metacam, baytril and metacloprimide (later changed to Stemetil) - she was left with a permanent tilt but at her worst she couldn't stay on her feet - just rolling - and the Stemetil was to help with her balance.

I'm sure that you'll get great care at the vets that Jane recommended.

Freshly washed veggies (so they're still wet) can help keep her water intake up if she can't get to bowl/bottle herself.

Brownie had panacur, metacam, baytril and metacloprimide (later changed to Stemetil) - she was left with a permanent tilt but at her worst she couldn't stay on her feet - just rolling - and the Stemetil was to help with her balance.

I'm sure that you'll get great care at the vets that Jane recommended.

I'm sure I will too.. and it will be great to not feel so alone in figuring all this out too.. I just would give anything to see her walk and hop again.. She is so alertand completely herself, even to the point of being excitable and curious and I think its frustrating her a bit that she cant just do what she wants.. :(

Hopefully my brother in law can take me tomorrow morning for a bit of cash but might need to get a taxi back.. just cant wait to see them now

Thanks Natalie, it means a lot.. the hardest part is just seeing and knowing how much she just wants to do 'normal' things.. and how alert she is.. but at the same time that is giving me hope.. x

Definitely. It sounds to me like she's very determined and a little fighter - sending lots of positive vibes to your little girl and hugs for you! X

Well, she's all beded down for the night, lots of hay, pellets, fresh food and water within reach.. Will be straight on the phone to Twickenham vets in the morning for an early appointment. I guess I better try and sleep... :?

Wish us luck x

Oh your poor little girl. I really hope you get some answers tomorrow and she will be fine. Wishing you both the best at the vets.

let us know once you have seen the vet I am thinking of you and your bun xxxx

Just back from seeing Laura at Twickenham vets, she was lovely. I must say overall I do prefer female vets! Laurahas put Leila on a course of Panacur for 6 weeks there weren't any tests done but I think the hind limb paresis and urinary incontinance seem to suggest possible e. cuniculi plus the fact it seemed to come on quickly. She couldn't feel anything painful or any swelling along her spine.. After the 6 weeks if no improvement they can do an xray.. but she would be under general so it's risky.. My only other worry would be spondylosis (which would come up on xray) as she has been getting less active to age. But all other signs seem to point to e/cuniculi.. including she has been a little off balance at times when standing on her hind legs for the last couple of months but I assumed it was old age..

Got to go back to see them (or if I cant get there a closer vet) in a week..

Fingers crossed the panacur will work.. but I've read it takes a long time!

It's gonna be 6weeks of intensive care for Leila..

Back