• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits abroad, touch or leave? Rabies?

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
It looks like where I am volunteering this summer has pet rabbits in a big enclosure.

Re things like rabies etc. would I be advised to not touch? Or am I safe to make a fuss?

Last edited:
I would suggest you check out the prevalence of rabies in whichever country it is. It would also depend on the source of the rabbits i.e. are the wild or domestic?

They look domestic,

2a18e271.jpg

They are in Belarus. Do rabbits get rabies?

Most mammals are susceptible to rabies but some more so than others. A quick Google says that rabbits can contract the disease but it's not at all common. If you are concerned, I guess you really need to research the prevalence of rabies in Belarus and whether the animals you come into contact with are vaccinated. Personally, I probably wouldn't be worried and would cuddle anything in front of me! Unless it was a bat...

Most mammals are susceptible to rabies but some more so than others. A quick Google says that rabbits can contract the disease but it's not at all common. If you are concerned, I guess you really need to research the prevalence of rabies in Belarus and whether the animals you come into contact with are vaccinated. Personally, I probably wouldn't be worried and would cuddle anything in front of me! Unless it was a bat...[/QUOTE]

It took me a few seconds after reading your post to catch on.
I thought you were a bat lover..then i realised Vampire bats..hehehe....

Most mammals are susceptible to rabies but some more so than others. A quick Google says that rabbits can contract the disease but it's not at all common. If you are concerned, I guess you really need to research the prevalence of rabies in Belarus and whether the animals you come into contact with are vaccinated. Personally, I probably wouldn't be worried and would cuddle anything in front of me! Unless it was a bat...

:lol: I guess I have to figure it out when I see them...

Looks like they have a lot together, and I can't imagine they are spayed or neutered, remember all the trouble alleycat had getting his girls spayed in the Ukraine?

:lol: I guess I have to figure it out when I see them...

Looks like they have a lot together, and I can't imagine they are spayed or neutered, remember all the trouble alleycat had getting his girls spayed in the Ukraine?

You won't be able to tell by looking at them. Eastern Europe has more of a problem than western but pets are probably ok. What kind of place is it you are volunteering at?

It is a health sanatorium, where people go on holiday, lots of children etc. they offer lots of health treatments, bit like a spa, but not how you would see one in Britain lol.

If they have children about I would imagine they are fine for a cuddle. You're at no more risk than anyone else and they'll just be pets. What a fab summer you're going to have. Don't forget all of us here in our jumpers with the heating on!! :lol:

If they have children about I would imagine they are fine for a cuddle. You're at no more risk than anyone else and they'll just be pets. What a fab summer you're going to have. Don't forget all of us here in our jumpers with the heating on!! :lol:

Hehe thanks Red Fraggle - that puts it in perspective actually.

I can't wait to get out there and see my little darling children again - I have missed them so much since last year.
My spare room is getting a real stock pile of gifts to take out!!

Even wild rabbits don't normally carry rabies (here at least). I'm not sure if they just naturally aren't very susceptible to rabies like virginia opossums, or if they die quickly after contracting it like mice do, or if since they're small they'd be badly injured by a bite so unlikely to recover enough to end up biting someone else.

Back