• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dental buns

lucy24

Mama Doe
those of you with dental buuns- what was the first symptoms your bun haad? can it be a mucky nose/snuffles?

One of my bunnys sneezes occasionally and sometimes little bits of gunge comes out her nose she had all the tests done and found out she was allergic to dust I have to use dust free hay and she's now on piriton ( on the vets recommendation) and she's been fine since :wave:

None of my dental bunnies have had a URI as a first symptom, however, it can definitely be a symptom that a bunny is feeling 'low' and his/her immune system is compromised for some reason (be it dental or another stress inducing issue).

Bobak (our dental buns) has never had mucky nose/snuffles. The only signs that his dental spurs are back are when he's in pain (grinding teeth, won't eat, general grumpiness) and obviously this is too late as it means an emergency dental. The only way I can tell that he's due a dental is by taking him to the vet to check. Luckily he can go around 6 months between dentals, but I still take him every 4 weeks for a progress check.

Snuffly symptoms were never a sign that Santa specifically needed to have dental imminently, but they can indeed be a sign that a rabbit is having dental problems in general. Buns teeth grow constantly and the roots can get pushed up into the skull especially if the teeth inside the mouth are overgrowing. It is these roots which can cause the snuffly/URI symptoms where they form abscesses and break into the nasal cavity/tear duct areas.

I would ensure that any bunny with snuffly symptoms is checked thoroughly for dental issues, as it is common for these to be the root cause of the snuffles. Good luck xx

Back