• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutered Male too old for new company?

SandySmith

New Kit
One of my pair of neutered males died yesterday. I'd had them for six years, they were bonded from birth, and he was the dominant rabbit in the relationship.

The remaining rabbit has always been very shy and nervous, and has recently started suffering from head-tilt, though it's under control with Panacur. Frankly he's not well, and I thought he'd go first.

I don't want him to be on his own, but I don't know if he's got much longer to live. I'm also afraid he might not be able to cope with a new partner, considering his age and health. I see three options; to have him put down now, to care for him on his own as long as he lives, or to try and bring in a new friend to keep him company for his last summer.

Has anyone else been in this position? Any insight or advice?

Thanks, Sandy

Hi there SandySmith, welcome to the forum :D:wave: I'm sorry to hear you have lost one of your bunnies :(

They are never too old for company, IMO. If you can take him to a rabbit rescue, they will often allow him to 'speed date' and he will pick the right partner, instead of getting a random bunny and hoping for the best. The dating can work very well. A rescue will also have bunnies of various ages so will be able to help you find one closer in age if that's what you want. Most will also take bunny back if it doesn't work out.

Head tilt bunnies can often recover so he may have more time than you think. If he is an outdoor bunny, I would definitely try him with a friend, as he will be bored and lonely on his own. You could bring him inside as a house bunny, and then he would be fine as a single as he would get more attention. But I wouldn't leave him outside without company.

Hi there SandySmith, welcome to the forum :D:wave: I'm sorry to hear you have lost one of your bunnies :(

They are never too old for company, IMO. If you can take him to a rabbit rescue, they will often allow him to 'speed date' and he will pick the right partner, instead of getting a random bunny and hoping for the best. The dating can work very well. A rescue will also have bunnies of various ages so will be able to help you find one closer in age if that's what you want. Most will also take bunny back if it doesn't work out.

Head tilt bunnies can often recover so he may have more time than you think. If he is an outdoor bunny, I would definitely try him with a friend, as he will be bored and lonely on his own. You could bring him inside as a house bunny, and then he would be fine as a single as he would get more attention. But I wouldn't leave him outside without company.

Perfect advice.:thumb:

Welcome to RU.:wave:

Back