• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help me choose my new rabbits! U/D They're here with pics!

MotherPanda

Warren Scout
A friend put me in touch with a LOCAL resuce -as far as I knew the nearest rescue was 40 miles away :lol::lol::lol: We went to visit today for a chat, and were introduced to all the bunnies there.

There were SO MANY! It was so sad, so many had little signs saying neglected, unwanted, abandoned, a few were born in the rescue, some were in hutches, some in runs and some were free range with the chickens - even saw a rabbit chase away a cat today! It was a fantastic rescue, and the woman who ran it was so kind to all the animals, and took a lot of time to tell me about each of the rabbits.

I think we are going to go for a pair of rabbits, and although she had mostly singles I decided I'd feel happier with an already-bonded pair so I don't have to worry about carrying on the bonding at home,

So we have three pairs to choose from:

Pair of white with speckled ears and eyeliner markings 12 week old brothers, one lop, one uppy eared, very cute and cuddly and friendly, although obviously not neutered yet - will have to wait a few more weeks. Although the thought of getting little babies is very appealing, as can get them used to handling etc early, I do think they will be rehomed fairly quickly as they are so cute, and I'm very worried about neuturing rabbits, will they make it? will i have to seperate them? will they still get on even when they are hormonal etc. I suspect these are my OHs favourites... though he is insisting he doesn't mind who we get.

Pair of large wild crosses I loooove wild crosses! A doe and a buck, brother and sister. both neutered. However, these buns are very large - probably 2-3kg, so not your traditional wildy build, apparently their mum was a big girl! They are 4/5 years old and have been overlooked for years, the rescue owner said she thought they'd stay with her forever probably, as people want cuddly buns. These guys are quite confident though, they don't like being handled but are happy to have strokes through the bars etc. I suspect these might be my favourite, because I feel they need me, and they are gorgeous, though I am a bit worried I might get upset at never having cuddles, although as they are confident on the ground I might be able to get strokes.

Pair of buns, black and dark agouti This was the only other bonded pair, they are one year old boys and lovely, been in the rescue a year. Don't feel as attached to them, but they like being handled, look different to each other and are neutered etc. I think If I hadn't met the other rabbits these guys would have made much more of an impression on me, but as it is I think they would make wonderful pets, they could be wonderful pets for me but I feel as I'm not obsessing about them as much - probably because they are not babies, they're not wildie crosses... they are just bunnies. which IS what I'm after, after all!

Oh dear... this is so difficult. At least I've narrowed down my search to one rescue!

Last edited:
I always choose the rabbits that have been there the longest and or stand least chance of being re-homed.

Best of luck in your choice!!!:thumb::thumb:

The decision is yours!!!!!!!!!

There was a one eyed cat at the rescue who is being overlooked too... almost thought about converting my purpose built rabbit shed to a cat shed :lol:

Oooh parsnip - I meant to say sorry to Albus and Fudge, I think they are very elegant buns, but It's so much easier to have somewhere local where I can meet the rabbits, and talk to the rescue owner and pick up the rabbits myself. Hope Albus is doing ok, poor chap.

I do love the crosses, I saw them from 20metres away, as they were watching me - I can't understand why people don't want them - they were so pretty! I feel like as they've been together for 4/5 years, it's unlikely they're going to fall out too, and they are in very good health - so no genetic problems have popped up yet.

There was a one eyed cat at the rescue who is being overlooked too... almost thought about converting my purpose built rabbit shed to a cat shed :lol:

Oooh parsnip - I meant to say sorry to Albus and Fudge, I think they are very elegant buns, but It's so much easier to have somewhere local where I can meet the rabbits, and talk to the rescue owner and pick up the rabbits myself. Hope Albus is doing ok, poor chap.

I do love the crosses, I saw them from 20metres away, as they were watching me - I can't understand why people don't want them - they were so pretty! I feel like as they've been together for 4/5 years, it's unlikely they're going to fall out too, and they are in very good health - so no genetic problems have popped up yet.

albus and fudge may well stay here . . . .:oops::oops: after Albus' health wobbly . . .

I would say your accommodation would be good for the wildies too - and not everyone's would be . .

Will have to buy a wheelbarrow of your finest forage once they get here, to help poor Albus out. I would certainly find it hard in your position to rehome any. What's two more mouths to feed anyway?

I just decided to think about how I would feel if the owner called up and said that each of the pairs had been rehomed to someone else... I would certainly be gutted about the crosses... so that's probably how I decide!

Think I might make a special call in the morning :)

oooh, it's so exciting. I work a lot anyway, so I was really looking for rabbits who wouldn't mind if I was out all day as I wouldn't be available for all day cuddles, baby rabbits just have the ability to make your heart melt I suppose (clever pet shops!).

If it were me, I would go for the wildie crosses. It sounds like your accommodation would be good for them and in my opinion they are less likely to fall out than the baby boys (just my opinion - not guaranteed with any bond). Plus they are less likely to be picked than the babies.

I don't mind buns that don't want snuggles either as I get huge satisfaction watching them carrying out their normal behaviour

Good luck with your decision

I'd go for the ones least likely to get a home otherwise, if your accomodation/lifestyle was suitable.

Pair of buns, black and dark agouti This was the only other bonded pair, they are one year old boys and lovely, been in the rescue a year. Don't feel as attached to them, but they like being handled, look different to each other and are neutered etc. I think If I hadn't met the other rabbits these guys would have made much more of an impression on me, but as it is I think they would make wonderful pets, they could be wonderful pets for me but I feel as I'm not obsessing about them as much - probably because they are not babies, they're not wildie crosses... they are just bunnies. which IS what I'm after, after all!

black bunnies and plain agoutis are often overlooked and left in rescues for ages. :(

From reading your first post it seems you have fallen in love with the wildie crosses :)

I wouldnt personally go for the baby boys unless you have the space/money to split them and find them each a friend if need be or the will-power to take one back to rescue if they did start to fight, as whilst neutered boys can be fantastic together they are very young at the moment and are just hitting puberty, so how they get along now wont be a good indication of how they will later in life. Of course many male bonds are strong and really happy together, but its just a risk you have to be prepared for. The older male pair of course are a safer bet as they've been together a good time.

I say go for the wildies :love: as long as you dont mind the cuddles thing. My Barney hates being picked up so I cuddle him on the floor, he snuggles up next to me, maybe this would be an option? My Annabella hates too much fuss and I only am allowed to give occasional strokes, but when she does want noserubs its more special because of that, took me 9 months to get her to that point and its a lot more rewarding because of that.

I hear wildies and wildie crosses need lots of mental stimulation though, so you might want to check out Tamsin's blog for the enrichment stuff she does for her wildie bun Scamp: www.therabbithouse.com I doubt any bun could be as naughty as him though!

When you go back to the rescue, I'd ask to sit in a run with each pair, so you can get a feel for how they are, as in my experience rabbits show their true colours when in a bigger space. Its nice to just watch them as well, as you can get an idea of their personalities that way.

I dont have much experience with 'choosing' pets for myself, as most of them have either come to me or I feel drawn to a particular one. Of my two buns, it was fate that sent Barney my way and Annabella was first and foremost a friend for Barney rather than a pet for me, so that heavily influenced my decision, but I always find it helpful when deciding whether to get a pet, to make a decision in your head and then see how you feel about it, if that makes sense. If you feel regret, sad or simply uneasy you know you need to rethink your decision. Go with your gut feeling.

Well... They're home! The wildie crosses are called Poppy and peter for now. Oh has been working like mad to finish their run. Will post pics later, as they have been hiding the last couple of hours - hopefully they'll explore this evening.

photo-62.jpg

Hello, my name is Peter, and this is my sister poppy. we are both quite shy, though I'm a bit more adventurous than my sister.

photo-74.jpg

Poppy has spent all day in bed, whilst peter has spent a lot of time out and about, I am struggling to tell them apart but they have slightly different markings on their noses which helps for now. Poppy is also a little bit larger.

photo-75.jpg

can you spot the bun?

photo-66.jpg

photo-65.jpg

photo-64.jpg

photo-63.jpg

The above pics were all taken from inside my kitchen - think I need to give my windows a clean!

It's been frustrating today, because I wanted them to calmly settle in, so we left them alone between 3 and 6, then I went and sat out in front of the shed, and moved my way in and managed to stroke both of their ears, but they still won't hop out whilst i'm around, fair enough. It's a joy to see them in the run, where I can watch them from inside the house, they have been scent marking everything and eating lots of hay (and pooing everywhere! - good sign!). only saw one rabbit for ages, and started to worry one had escaped, so pulled out the under bed box to check - they were both there after all. expect they are both asleep now.

Thanks Dave - no you can't have them - they are mine! Can't believe they were overlooked, such a beautiful pair.

At least... I think they are mine.... have hardly seen them! But they seem happy enough, even saw Peter (I think it was him!) do a small binky when he was out :) Glad I can give them time to settle in.

did you get round to putting a roof on the run bit at all?

I ask because one of my wildies scaled a 5ft high chicken wire fence yesterday - just went straight up it like a squirrel, paused for a moment at the top then leapt down the other side:shock: (he is a true wildie it is true rather than a x - but nevertheless). Had the fence been 6ft I think he would still have done it.

they are usually in a roofed aviary but we had popped him in this unroofed area there whilst we were doing some alterations and re-builds - looked round and he wasnt there any more!!!

Back