• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can Grim have some eating vibes please :(

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Never thought I'd be asking them for Grim. He doesn't stop eating for anything. Even carried on with two jaw abscesses.
I don't know what's causing it. He picked up again last night as was eating a lot. I left food out all night for both of them and at 5.30 am there was still some food so I know Smoo didn't eat it all. But he's just refusing everything now. I went and bought him some oats. he got excited about them and ate a few but now he's stopped again.

If he doesn't start soon it'll be emergency vets. :(
And I really don't trust most of the vets here. I'd rather take him to All Creatures tomorrow morning, but it'll have to be very early as they're two hours away.

I've been syringe feeding him every two hours, now just leaving him for a bit to see if he'll eat on his own. I hate not having good vets close by. Sometimes Grim does go into what I call slow down when I believe he has pain from his snuffles, probably in his sinuses. It could be his teeth but he has so few left. But usually it only lasts a day and he still eats a bit, then the next day he's really hungry.

We had a big storm the other day and I had a huge headache all day, I think it might have affected him too and really be putting pressure on his sinuses. :(

Fingers crossed for him he'll pick up.

Grim mate, dont let us down.Eat up, theres a good lad....Smoover will get it all...come on Grim....Quick.....

I just said "Please be eating." as I walked into my room, and he was!

Him and Smoo were tucking in to the huge pile of pellets I left down. :D :D :D :D :D

Are you familiar with how his 'normal' tum feels

I am wondering if this is associated with the poo issue the other day ?

Are you familiar with how his 'normal' tum feels

I am wondering if this is associated with the poo issue the other day ?

The poo issue is normal I'm afraid. he has pretty much no fibre in his diet and is on excel so he gets a huge amount of excess cecals. Sometimes, having no teeth, he has trouble getting them all and they get stuck. Usually they fall off when they dry but sometimes they pile up and that happens. It can happen once a month really.

I know his digestive system is a mess, but then so is the rest of him. :( I discussed it with the vet but we decided that he is doing well on an only pellet diet, somehow, and we don't want to mess with it if we don't have to. He has lovely fur and is happy and lively, much to most vets surprise when they realise the extent of his problems. He has never ever had any gut problems apart from one time when we tried bisolvon to decongest him. He stopped eating then for two days and we stopped it and he was fine. The only other thing that stops him eating is his teeth. Usually I'm right on top of any dental issues, but last time neither me or my fantastic vet picked up on it and thought it was his eyes causing him pain. I think it's his eyes this time, so I'm going to get his teeth checked to be sure. But as I said before, he only has a couple left!

Not that I'm ruling out stasis or dysbiosis etc, I just think for Grim it would be unlikely. I just felt the need to explain his guts because I know that amount of poo I posted in the photo can be quite shocking, but for Grim, unfortunately it's normal.

What sort of thing would I check for with his stomach if it were the cause?

I'm keeping a close eye on him as I would much prefer to take him to a savvy vet than an emergency one. He's eaten some, not loads, but it's a start. We will definitely be going to the vet though because that's two days in a row he's been off his food. Luckily I've sold a few bunny key rings to go towards the bills.

Thank you everyone for your vibes. :)

He ate again this morning. I got him eating chinchilla pellets in the end, but at least he ate. It means I can wait to see the right vet, which makes me happier. He was waiting in his nebuliser box when I got home but I don't know if that's because he wanted to be nebulised or he just wanted to sit in a box.

But he's doing a little better, thank you everyone. :)

Sorry to hear Grim wasn't well but pleased to hear he is eating now, even if it is chinnie food. ;)

I noticed the chinchilla pellets are alot softer than rabbit ones. Unless James let them get stale. I hope not.

Pleased to see he's making such an effort. Teeth probs are the bane of bunnies existence I think.
Sorry I forget but will he not touch softened pellets or feed on a saucer...we had one but who'd eat it from a saucer bless him.
Kibbles had her teeth out and was always an issue on what to feed her..but Casper we adopted with bottom lip removed and front teeth but tooth root abscess left....he'd still eat pellets! Some buns amaze you.
Tell grim he's got to keep eating even chin pellets something to keep his tummy going or I'll send bluebell round! Lol.

Nomming vibes little bunster xxx

Back