• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For people who have claimed through Petplan

sonnet

Alpha Buck
Due to Dylan having had to be admitted over the weekend last weekend with G.I Stasis (now fully recovered thank goodness) I have made my first claim with his Insurer Petplan. However what confused me (& the Vet!) was the excess which is listed as: '£55 plus 25%' - the question is for the 25% is that worked out on the grand total of the bill or after the £55 has been taken away?!

For all the insurances I have, 2 separate pet ones and all the car house etc they all state an excess and nothing about a %. One of the pet ones is Petplan too as Janey says it should be just an excess unless some sort of condition was added to your policy for some reason. Youre best bet is to call Petplan and get them to explain.

For all the insurances I have, 2 separate pet ones and all the car house etc they all state an excess and nothing about a %. One of the pet ones is Petplan too as Janey says it should be just an excess unless some sort of condition was added to your policy for some reason. Youre best bet is to call Petplan and get them to explain.

Some of the policies do have the percentage as well as the straight forward excess. I *think* it's age based, it's something I became aware of when deciding which insurance company to insure my rabbits with, whilst reading discussions on forums. I was shocked as to me it's almost like changing the terms and conditions to suddenly one year slap a percentage on as well as the £55 excess, if you weren't expecting this when you took out your lifetime cover. I asked Pets @ Home if they do this and stated categorically taht they don't with rabbit insurance but it may apply to cat/dog insurance. Things always change though. I did a trial run getting quotes from P@H up to age 14 and it only gave the straight excess. You can't do this with PP though as of course they don't start insurance after 5 years old.

As for the original question, if the wording is £55 plus 25% I'd be inclined to take the £55 off first then the 25%, but somebody more street-wise might know better.

Back