• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits are boxing

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
I have 2 females who I have previously tried to bond unsuccessfully, Katy my feisty lady kept attacking Cassie who has always been very placid and dipsy. they live in the dog chalet with a mesh divider. I should also mention that Katy lost her partner of 6 years 6 weeks ago.

Since last Friday Katy has been very poorly with statis and is now starting to make a good recovery:D. We have puppy panels dividing the garden and they have both been out free-ranging on their own sides. Katy was going for a poop and Cassie tried to bite her and was grunting :shock: Anyway now Katy is feeling a little better she is turning round and fighting back.

My question is - once Katy is back to 100% will Cassie keep trying to attack.

Meanwhile we will be putting finer mesh (like in the shed) on the puppy panels (luckily Cassie has a squishy face which won't fit through the puppy panels but her paws do :roll:)

:wave:Anyone any experience of this? I have heard of bonds breaking. We are taking precautions anyway in case it is ongoing.

I must admit I'm a bit confused about what you're asking - it sounds as if they live separately, but then you ask about bonds breaking? If you're asking whether they will always try and fight through the wire then yes it is possible; the death of the other bun will have caused the dynamic to change and they could now both be seeing each other as competitors. That's pretty normal in buns living side by side and can often be resolved by making it so they can't see each other, although if they are both solo buns I think it's better that they can at least see other rabbits as long as they don't cause each other stress. Are both neutered? Does Cassie have another bun living with her? Are you planning on getting Katy a new friend? It sounds as if she might be struggling now she has lost her partner.

Sorry for all the questions, but like I say, I'm not really clear what you're asking.

Quiet possibly yes Evie has been more assertive/aggressive with Albert ever since Bella attacked her

Thanks for your replies. I think I confused matters mentioning bonded pairs - these 2 are not bonded.

Homer (age 9) and Katy (age 7) were a pair. We originally tried to bond Cassie (age 3) in (as she came later) but Katy kept attacking her. Cassie has always been very placid. Basically we had a pair living next door to a single so they have always been next to each other and still.

We lost Homer 6 weeks ago and tried to bond Katy and Cassie as the dynamics had changed. There was no aggression from Cassie during the attempted bonding and it even went well for about 18 hours but then Katy became aggresive so we had to call it a day. I have continued to try to do the "dating" method and Cassie goes up and licks Katy but Katy does not respond.

Katy has had GI statis for the last week and when she was feeling a little better on Thursday she was out in the garden for a bit where we have puppy panels dividing the garden. Katy was just going to the loo (thankfully) with her back turned and Cassie launched at her through the panel. It is so unlike Cassie and I was just wondering if she would always continue to attack as this has not been a problem before. We are going to mesh the puppy panels now to be on the safe side.

It took 4 months to bond Katy and Homer originally due to Katy's fiestiness and they then became devoted and spent 6 brialliant years together :love:

Quiet possibly yes Evie has been more assertive/aggressive with Albert ever since Bella attacked her
:roll: Bunnies eh. We are going to put mesh on the puppy panels as a precaution as the rest of their set up is OK with small mesh and high.

Back