• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new to bonding

binkybunnyox

Warren Scout
Hi :wave:
I brought home a little lionhead rabbit yesterday who had been handed into my work as a stray . One of our vets had been looking after him for a few months . He is approx 8 months now & has been castrated & vaccinated by us . I decided a while ago that i wanteded a friend for pepper who is a 4 yr old dwarf lop . We introduced them in neutral territory & all that happened was the lionhead trying to mount pepper and pepper running away resulting in chasing . Now that i have them home pepper just keeps lunging at him . I'm not sure what's the best way forward really ? Any advice would be appreciated !

You have brought the boy into the girls territory hence the aggression. Have you got a neutral area at home? When you introduced them on neutral territory the boy chased the girl which is normal.

I could use the bathroom... Should I be swapping there cages round at night ? Or would this unsettled them more . The only place I can keep both there cages ( there cages are next to each other so they can see eachother ) is my room as its my grans house, is this a bad idea . Pepper is been really aggressive she had her tail raise so I intervened . Sorry I sound so stupid its my 1st time trying to bond .

Yes, a lot of folk use the bathroom, I never have, but you need somewhere where she hasn't been before. Rabbits are very territorial. A lot of people put them in the bath (empty) maybe for an hour at a time. It could take some time so you have to be patient. Some people swap them over every night so one is sleeping in the other's cage. This helps to accustome them to one another's smell. But at the end of the day you still have to take the step of putting them together. To nneutralise a cage or area you can use 50/50 solution of vinegar and water. As long as they aren't fighting, lunging, mounting, nipping are all fairly normal behaviours, but it's best if the boy chases the girl. Putting some food in when you have them together helps to sidetrack them. Scatter it.

Back