• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dolly's getting spayed on Tuesday!

k1984

Mama Doe
At 4 months and 3 weeks old, Dolly my french lop is getting spayed on Tuesday. She's having a pre-op check on Monday night and if all is well then she's going in for her op the following day. I'm nervous but glad she's having it done. I never planned on having to book her in so early (was aiming for about 6months old), but her erratic behaviour, nest building, temper tantrums and having to split her from Jimmy after attacking him I felt I had no choice and it was a matter of urgency to get her in.

I'm nervous and hoping she's going to be ok. What do I need to ask about to make sure she's going to get the best care/treatment?

Just saw that your post has gone unanswered. Firstly, good luck for tomorrow.
Make sure that you get some pain relief to bring home for her. They usually give metacam. If they say she won't need it insist on being given it, she will be sore for a good few days and bunnies in pain don't eat very well (if at all) which could lead to stasis.
She will probably also be on an antibiotic to guard against infection.
Keep her in overnight if she comes home the same day as buns can't regulate their temperature post anaesthetic.
Try to keep her calm and get her eating as soon as possible. Stock up on her fave foods now so you can tempt her. I would also insist on being given some critical care (or equivalent) so if she doesn't eat you can syring feed her enough to keep her tum going.
Others may have more to add, this will at least bump your post up!

Best of luck for Dolly! :) I know how you feel, Mylo is getting spayed next Monday, even though I know she'll be in good hands I'm worrying about it already - I'll be a nervous wreck by next week! :lol: (You can tell I'm a first-time bunny mummy!)

That is a tad early for a giant bun - the vet may find her not really developed - despite the hormones being present - happened to ours,

Thanks for all your replies. I'm taking her in about an hour to have her pre-op check where the vet will decide.
I'm even more nervous now with what you've said. I don't want to put her at risk :?
She is just completely aggressive at the moment, constantly going at anything put infront of her (whether it be an object or your hand!), and is building nests every day. She seems very frustrated and unhappy. I don't know what to do :?

Back