• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is she nesting?

rachelsharp

New Kit
I recently took in two buns from a thread on The Guinea Pig Forum - they were posted on there by a girl who lives relatively close to me, and it was an acquaintance of hers that had been advertising two buns for rehoming on facebook. Anyway, I was told she was threatening to let them go etc if they weren't taken on by someone - hence collecting them from her.Unfortunately I'm unable to keep them so I've arranged for them to go to Bramleycavies Small Animal Rescue in Leeds next Sunday.

Anyway, to the point - they were kept together male and female for a few months. No babies though. They were both unneutered, vaccinated etc so were separated when they got here. Got them checked over at the vets, who seemed to think that Rosie might be pregnant, but wasn't sure - she was large round her tummy in comparison to across her spine where she was quite skinny but the vet couldn't feel any signs of babies. She therefore wasn't neutered or vaccinated, but Jim has been since.

So, time has gone on, she didn't seem to get any larger and there was no signs of nesting so we started to think it was possible she wasn't pregnant. I collected them on 01/06 so it's coming up to her 30 day mark and I've come down to this this morning:

Is this her nesting?

Durham-20120623-00601.jpg

If so, how close to the birth do they do this? Does this mean it's imminent. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have quite a lot of experience with guinea pigs, but never with buns. Also, if babies are coming, I think it would be wise to move her indoors maybe? And if so, will she re-nest once I move her?

hi im not very experienced with this by have seen alot of threads like this on here in the past so here goes. its probably best not too move her from where shes used to just make sure she has plenty of bedding to nest with. it does look like shes nesting to me and they usually do this when birth is imminant. if and when she does have the babies, give extra food as she'll need the energy. is she living with the neutered buck?

Thanks for the quick reply Lucy. No they're still separate at the moment. The vet did mention they needed to be separated by the time of the birth because of possible aggression etc, but he is separate regardless as he was neutered 9 days ago and I was told they need to be separate for about 4-6 weeks post op as he'll still be fertile.

Yes that is nesting she is either pregnant or having a phantom pregnancy if she is pregnant she will be ready to drop any day now

We're going to get a nesting box sorted from a cardboard box, is it ok to move all of her nest over into this? Don't want to disturb her.

Also, one question now is will I need to postpone transporting her to Leeds (We're in Durham)? Say she has the babies in the next few days, will they be ok to travel presuming that I handle them properly smelling of mummy bun? Or, at what age is it safe to transport them?

Hi there. If you got the buns on the 1st June then you will know by the 2nd July as to whether or not she is pregnant. Gestation is 31 days give or take a day or 2..It isn't really a good idea to move the nest as she has made her mind up on that location and it could result in her having the babies out of the nest where they would most likely die. If she has her babies there the best way is for her to remain there for at least three weeks before disturbing then there is continuity for babies. In the wild they would leave the nest by 3 weeks so you are safer then. Can you get her to the rescue asap so it will happen there annd she won't be disturbed? I hope everything works out well.

she may well of been pregnant before the 1st of june so she could be ready any time now i wouldn't move them till there at least 4 weeks old and thats depending on how long the journey will be

Well that was quick - we have kittens! I went to check on her and put some extra hay in and I can see what seems to be one baby in the nest. I haven't gone near it, I'm a bit nervous, although I've seen on the link earlier that I need to be checking to make sure they're alive etc. She was a bit frantic with me being around so I've left her to some peace and quiet.

Another question - if things need cleaning am I able to do that as long as the nest is undisturbed?

Is there just the one baby? Its not unheard of but unusual. I'd check to see if any are stuck coming out, just to be on the safe side.

You can clean, but dont touch the nest. Personally I wouldnt clean for 1-2 days unless its really dirty or attracting flies though, just from a stress point of view. She may be stressed/aggressive/defensive about you cleaning things out y going near, so be prepared for that.

I've managed to check the nest today and there is only one baby in there. I've also had Mrs Bun out for a check over, she seems quite happy and active. She did seem very round around her tummy still, is that normal?

Back