• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

separation anxiety?

My rabbit Cruz is 8 months old, and he for some reason decided to start waking up at anywhere from 5-7am grabbing ahold of his cage and shaking it with his teeth. I don't know why he is doing this and i have had to put a towel over the cage for him to stop. any ideas?

Hi :wave:

Sounds like he's bored. What size cage is it? If its a shop bought one they really are not big enough to satisfy a rabbit. We used to shut Poppy in a 48 inch dog crate and attached puppy pen but even that would bore her, she had toys, hay, everything. But not enough space (she had over 8ft) she now has run of the room 24/7 and hasn't chewed the bars for months :)

Would you be able to get a puppy pen/metal run to attach, I'm pretty sure that would help :) the time he is chewing the bars is usually when rabbits wake up anyway and need to release that energy but your bun is feeling frustrated he can't. At about 5am Poppy runs around doing happy bunny binkies and has become a lot more energetic and happy :)

Last edited:
Aly&Poppy

I have a pen that we made for him but he seems to be Huddenie *spelled that wrong* with it. My boyfriend put it around his cage and left the room for 2 seconds and some how Cruz jumped over the cage its self and got out. That's the major thing is my boyfriend has never had rabbits and he is under the impression that they don't need that much space or to be let out all the time. he also does not let Cruz out when I am not home because he is on the fire department and if he gets a call he doesnt have time to chase him around to leave. I have attempted to make a double decker cage but it failed. He has an extra large cage and we have two cages both the same size one is wider than the other but shorter. I try to let him run around as much as possible when I am home but i know that is not enough I really want to get him a friend but my boyfriend thinks he is fine by himself as well. I tried to convince him but he is to set on keeping cruz an only bun :-(. He's fixed and i think he would be great with another rabbit hes got alot of love in him. I think that would make him also less bored when we are not home.

Back